LegacyGT.com

Please add a "Detailing" section

This is a great site, but it needs a "Detailing" section. There is an exterior and an interior section, but both are oriented to MODIFICATIONS. I.e., it's related to [u]enhancement[/u] of the Legacy. And there is a Basic Maintenance section, but this seems to be related to mechanical maintenance. What I'd like to see is a section related to Detailing - cleaning, polishing, waxing. It would include tools and techniques of keeping your Subie in pristine shape. Why a separate section? - The detailing process can be complex and confusing with all of the products on the market. For example, did you know that one vendor recommends Klasse protectant for white and silver cars, but Menzerna protectant for red and black cars. Do you know the difference between "Wax" and "Sealants"? Did you know that one fellow uses a leaf blower to dry his car? Did you know that wax only lasts one to two months, while Klasse, Zaino and Menzerna protectants last six to eight months? Two weeks ago, I couldn't have answered even ONE of these questions. I've researched a lot in 14 days. I'm still not sure that I'm right, I know more than I did two weeks ago. Unfortunately I'm still have much to learn and I think most people are in the same boat. - Unlike other routine maintenance (such as oil changes) when you wash and wax your Subie, you can SEE improvement. The detailing process is more than money saving, it's satisfying in its own right. - Detailng is an ongoing activity that occurs every week to several weeks. This is fundamentally different from other changes that only occur two or three times in the life of the car (such as getting new tires or adding a new stereo). - Detailing covers a wide variety of tasks, tools and techniques used inside and outside of the car. Usually you perform these at the same time. I.e., I usually vacuum the interior and THEN work on the exterior. Frankly I don't know if there is a better method or even if it makes a difference. Please add a "Detailing" section. Thanks and regards, Dan.

I feel detailing would be under Basic Maintainence or Exterior. I'm not quite sure we really need a section dedicated entirely to that. If there is enough interest in a particular area and we can just get people to detail (pun intended) their practices and what they use, we can perhaps sticky a thread, but for maybe a couple threads right now, it just isn't worth adding a section for it at this point and time.

[quote name='SUBE555']I feel detailing would be under Basic Maintainence or Exterior. [/quote] Regarding interest... That's a toughie because the 2005 Legacy GT is very new. There's a lot of newbies here (including me) who didn't even think about a Subie until the 2005's. And, now that the first blush of excitement if wearing off, many of us are focusing on how to keep our Subies in tip-top shape. So I think that the interest is increasing. Regarding where the posts should go... The problem is that detailing (foo-foo kind of word, isn't it?) covers both both interior and exterior, so "Exterior/Aesthetic" doesn't cover it too well. "Basic Maintenance" seems OK with me, but no one else thinks that way. It's all about mechanical stuff. Below is a list of threads where the primary topic or a major portion of the topic is cleaning, waxing and protecting the Subie. As you can see, the posts are all over the place. Less than 1/3rd are in "Exterior/Aesthetic" and none are in "Basic Maintenance". Would it be reasonable to create a poll on the subject? Regards, Dan. P.s., thanks for your posts about the Toyo Proxes 4's. I'm getting mine today. ---- i2005 Subaru Legacy Sorry! New to Turbo.... Cleaning question! 2005 Subaru Legacy Mr. Clean Autodry 2005 Subaru Legacy 1000 miles of torture 2005 Subaru Legacy Dash cleaning question on the GT 2005 Subaru Legacy Wax 2005 Subaru Legacy Calling apexjapan... 2005 Subaru Legacy Leather Care Exterior/Aesthetic Wax?? Exterior/Aesthetic Legacy Hood... Exterior/Aesthetic Touch up paint Exterior/Aesthetic Meguiar's NXT Tech wax vs spray wax Exterior/Aesthetic Scratched paint Exterior/Aesthetic Glass cleaner? General Chat So I tried it.. General Chat More Freebies Interior/Audio Cloth, leather, stains and stink Legacy and Outback Photos Ahhh, washed and waxed.... Pre-purchase Questions White / Paint Discolorment Wheels/Tires Oozing from wheel bolts?

[quote name='DEI99662']I feel that a "Detailing" section is needed. Since there is not section I have to go to Autopia.org for answers. I thought someone said that they wanted a "One Stop Shopping" site???[/quote] They DIDN'T want one of those....and for potential tips and answers, check the EXTERIOR forum. Thanks.

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='DEI99662']I feel that a "Detailing" section is needed. Since there is not section I have to go to Autopia.org for answers. I thought someone said that they wanted a "One Stop Shopping" site???[/quote] They DIDN'T want one of those....and for potential tips and answers, check the EXTERIOR forum. Thanks.[/quote] A quote from Mod Dr. Zevil, "I think that if you have to go to NASIOC for a forum, then there may be a need for it here. I want this place to become a one stop shop. Although I DO indeed go to NASIOC for my news and rumors. "

[quote name='DEI99662'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='DEI99662']I feel that a "Detailing" section is needed. Since there is not section I have to go to Autopia.org for answers. I thought someone said that they wanted a "One Stop Shopping" site???[/quote] They DIDN'T want one of those....and for potential tips and answers, check the EXTERIOR forum. Thanks.[/quote] A quote from Mod Dr. Zevil, "I think that if you have to go to NASIOC for a forum, then there may be a need for it here. I want this place to become a one stop shop. Although I DO indeed go to NASIOC for my news and rumors. "[/quote] To quote many other opposing members not to mention head honcho himself: [quote name='Tide'] 1) This site will not be a mirror image of NASIOC, i-Club, s2ki, Acura-TL, or any other site. 2) If there isn't a large number of threads on the topic, it doens't need its own forum. 3) More forums confuse people, who then just dump into the top forum. 4) There are other places these topics can already be discussed. Legacy specific news and rumors are fine in the '2005 Subaru Legacy' forum. Other Subaru topics can easily go in the off topic areas. 5) I'm not re-organizing the forums weekly. Its confusing to those of us who have been around. I do appreciate the suggestions,though. And by all means if ALOT of people all wanted it, then my mind would change. I like this place to be what the members want.[/quote] [quote name='SUBE555'] I feel detailing would be under Basic Maintainence or Exterior. I'm not quite sure we really need a section dedicated entirely to that. If there is enough interest in a particular area and we can just get people to detail (pun intended) their practices and what they use, we can perhaps sticky a thread, but for maybe a couple threads right now, it just isn't worth adding a section for it at this point and time.[/quote] I agree with this. It fits under the EXTERIOR category quite well. As for news and rumors, everyone already posts those in the General forum anyway, no need to change it. :lol:

[quote name='Tide']Why wouldn't that go in the interior forum?[/quote] Because the "Interior/Audio" forum is about "Gauges, Shift Knobs, seats? Want to upgrade your stereo? This is the place." The "Exterior/Aesthetic" forum is about "Body kits, lights, paint, or anything else thats spiffs up your Legacy." The primary focus of both forums is about "upgrading" your Legacy. Detailing is about cleaning and protecting. It's about keeping what you have in great condition, not enhancing it to take it to the next level. (Both are valuable, but different.) The next time (actually the first time) I wash and wax my new GT, I'll work on the inside too. I suspect that I'll have questions and issues about both. Why would I post questions about interior cleaning and protecting in one forum and questions about exterior cleaning and protecting in another forum? In my research, I've heard that "303 Aerospace Protectant" is great for protecting rubber, vinyl, and plastic. What difference does it make if it's exterior or interior? Actually, it might make a difference, but why would I post the same question in two forums to find out? What about cleaning glass? Does it belong in the exterior forum if it's the outside portion and the interior forum if it's the inside portion? Is there some reason that you should use one cleaning product for one and not the other? Did you know that you can polish glass with an orbital buffer? It's probably easy to polish the exterior, but probably stupid to polish the interior. I don't know. But, I'd like to find out. Regards, Dan.

Technical forums are just that. Technical. The fact that it says 'Interior' means anything interior can be talked about there. The subtitle simply helps spell the most commonly posted topics out for people. If your post could go in either then its up to you to make the decision where you feel its best. Moderators may move it of course if they disagree. I also have other reasons I have stated before: 1) This site will not be a mirror image of NASIOC, i-Club, s2ki, Acura-TL, or any other car site. 2) If there isn't already a large number of threads on the topic, it doens't need its own forum. 3) More forums confuse people, who then just dump into the most popular forum. 4) There are other places these topics can already be discussed. If you're not comfortable with Interior or Exterior, dump it into General Chat. 5) I'm not re-organizing the forums weekly. Its confusing to those of us who have been around. I can't stress #5 enough. Every week... yes every week, I get someone who comes from another forum who wants this site to be the same as the one they came from. I have people who say when we move things that we're overorganizing or their post was there to get more people to read it. Then on the other hand I have suggestions for more categories. I can't please everyone. If 99% of the people are happy here, then 1% (13 people) are not. I do appreciate the suggestions, though. And by all means if ALOT of people all wanted it, then my mind would change.

Whoa, where'd you get the idea that I came from NASIOC? I really don't care how other forums are formatted. I've been to NASIOC about a dozen times and have spent some time on Edmunds. That's it. My ideas are based on what I see in this site. Period! You're overreacting a bit. It's your site. If you don't want to change the site, fine. But, please don't jump on people who make suggestions and try to improve the site (at least in their opinion). Quite frankly, I don't understand some of the fine granularities that currently exist. For example, why have two Engine forums? The Naturally Aspirated forum has only had a dozen threads in eight months. Finally, why do you say that 13 people are the only ones interested in Cleaning and Protecting. I listed 20 threads, not people. The "Exterior/Aesthetic Wax??" thread alone had more 13 people post. In any case, this is my last post in the "Site Suggestion" forum. Have a nice day.

I never said you came from NASIOC, and I also never said 13 people were interested in your topic. NASIOC is just an example of what others believe this site should be. 13 people is just an illustration of 1% (of hypothetical unhappy people) of the members on the site. It has nothing to do with the threads you listed. My point simply is this, it does not matter how I lay out this site, it will never satisfy everyone. So then I get to be the bad guy, which sucks frankly. I can't give everyone here what they want.

[quote name='Tide']I never said you came from NASIOC, and I also never said 13 people were interested in your topic. NASIOC is just an example of what others believe this site should be. 13 people is just an illustration of 1% (of hypothetical unhappy people) of the members on the site. It has nothing to do with the threads you listed. My point simply is this, it does not matter how I lay out this site, it will never satisfy everyone. So then I get to be the bad guy, which sucks frankly. I can't give everyone here what they want.[/quote] I am not asking you to change this site weekly. I never said or suggested that. I am merely trying to make suggestions to make this site better for everyone. I have been on other sites/forums. I am not trying to copy them. The suggestions that I am making are to better this site, not to copy others. Yes I understand that this site will not please everyone. I never said you were the "bad guy," but it does seem like you are "jumping down our throats" on this. I do not care if you add the "Detailing" section or something else. You are the site owner/administrator. You make the final decisions. We are just here to make suggestions to you. I hope you are not bitter by these comments. I truely like this site a lot and spend a lot of time on it. I want to see it grow and become successful as you do. :)

Archived