LegacyGT.com

CB install in dash

Trumpy

I managed to install my CB radio over the weekend. Found a pretty good place for the unit to go. I dont use the ashtray in mine, so I removed it completely. This was suprisingly easy. It is held in by 2 screws behind the gearshift console. This console piece pops of quite easily as mentioned in other threads. Once the ashtray was out, I fashioned a surround for the CB face out of high-density foam from the local hardware shop. Not a professional install by any means, but good enough for me. Cost all of $3 for the foam too. [img]http://home.exetel.com.au/trumpy/CBInstall/CB1.jpg[/img] [img]http://home.exetel.com.au/trumpy/CBInstall/CB2.jpg[/img]

I've thought about this.. can you actually hear truckers talking about where cops are? There's also that scanner they were using in the gumball 3000 video, they could tell how far the cruisers were by the strength of their digital communications.. Always been curious..

Removed the double post. That's a nice install! Foam on the left seems to be sticking out, but i'm sure all you have to do is push it in. I like that though. If I get TEIN suspension and EDFC it might go there!
-ben

Thanks for that Axis008. I thought I would post because it gives you another place to install a whole range of stuff, from gauges to auxilary ecu and tuning computers etc. Handy little hole in the dash! Deer Killer, here in Aus radar detectors are very illegal, and the police absolutely smash you if they catch you with one. I think it is a $2000 fine. Having a CB is actually better, as all of the truckies pass info around on the CB regarding speed traps and Highway patrol. Channel 40 in Australia is a dedicated "highway channel", which is a nice name for the truckies channel. The language can be a bit off sometimes (not good for young kids), but it definitely keeps you aware of whats going on. I have it on in the background most of the time, and I just turn the music down if I hear the CB go. This model also has a wideband scanner, which lets you scan many other frequencies that you are not allowed to transmit on. Examples of these are police and fire. You can listen with the unit, but it wont allow you to transmit, which is obviously a good thing.

[quote name='DEI99662'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='NewGTGuy']Was there a pic on this thread? NGG[/quote] There WAS...I dunno where it went... :?[/quote] Was it in the double post that was deleted?[/quote] No it was in here. The host is having problems methinks...

[quote name='jedimaster']Nice- where did you get the foam?[/quote] Just bought it from the local hardware shop. You can buy it in varying thicknesses and colours. The "black" was actually a pretty good match for the silver console plastic.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Thanks- any chance of a pic from further back so I can get an idea of how everything works aesthetically from a distance?

[quote name='jedimaster']Thanks- any chance of a pic from further back so I can get an idea of how everything works aesthetically from a distance?[/quote] I'll try to take another pic tonight when i get home. Main issue aesthetically is that the CB lights up green at night, where the rest of the console is red. Nothing I can do about that though, thats the way it is.

[quote name='Trumpy'][quote name='jedimaster']Thanks- any chance of a pic from further back so I can get an idea of how everything works aesthetically from a distance?[/quote] I'll try to take another pic tonight when i get home. Main issue aesthetically is that the CB lights up green at night, where the rest of the console is red. Nothing I can do about that though, thats the way it is.[/quote] It's probably just a green LED. Consult your local geek on changing it out :)

• 1 year later...
Thats not always the case... I'm sure if you looked around enough at scanner and ham radio modifications, sometimes theres just a green tint on the lens that you can replace with red tint... or green LED's that you could replace with Red ones... Just a thought ;) BTW: your CB's are up in the 400 mhz range? Here in the states its all HF (27mhz). Any pics of the antenna setup? --LL

Great install!!! We really wish we could swap the HU and be able to play with a lot more room in case additional pieces are to be added!! But hey SoA, listen to US!!! hehehehehe Flavio Zanetti Boston, MA

[quote name='reallyfastz24'] BTW: your CB's are up in the 400 mhz range? Here in the states its all HF (27mhz). Any pics of the antenna setup? --LL[/quote] Last Post: [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50798#post50798"]Legacy Clutch Pedal[/URL] 09-21-2004 10:55 PM You might want to start another thread, or do a search. The member you are reqeusting info from has not posted since 2004.
Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Archived