LegacyGT.com

Radio / console lighting?

IndyTim

Hi folks -

My wife is complaining about the dash lighting for the radio / climate control area on our new GT Ltd wagon.

She claims there is no lighting of this area, so at night she has to turn on the interior lights to control the radio.

Is there a dimmer switch somewhere that we're missing?

Thanks,

Tim

Fav site: http://crunchycon.nationalreview.com

Gone but not forgotten:

'00 Porsche Carrera

'88 Porsche 928S4 5sp

Forgotten:

'04 VW R32

'01 BMW M3

There's a dimmer switch on the left of the steer wheel, located next to the knob which you use to adjust the side mirrors.... roll it up and down, brightest will show as ILL: 6 on your dash :D

hope that's the same with wagons tho

people with wagons had complained about weak dome lights in car, they had changed them with brighter bulbs too...i'm sure there's a post here...or walkthrough :iam:

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Actually, your wife probably forgot to turn the headlights on - hence no dash lights for the radio and ACC

With the DRL and IL cluster, the headlights and instrument cluster will always be on. It is easy to forget to turn on the headlights after dark if you aren't familiar with the car.

Actually, your wife probably forgot to turn the headlights on - hence no dash lights for the radio and ACC. With the DRL and IL guages, it is easy to forget the headlights if you aren't familiar with the car.

Beat me to it. Disable the DRLs and things will actually be much safer for everyone.

Actually, your wife probably forgot to turn the headlights on - hence no dash lights for the radio and ACC

With the DRL and IL cluster, the headlights and instrument cluster will always be on. It is easy to forget to turn on the headlights after dark if you aren't familiar with the car.

Very good point!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks, Hanger.

She had a Taurus in which every knob, button, switch, etc. had backlighting that shone through the labeling. I think she's looking for something similar.

I had a chance to get home and look, and it appears as though the radio LED display itself is subject to dimnation (that's a word isn't it?). However, the knobs/buttons themselves have no illumination of any kind.

So it goes... I'm tempted to say, "hey, it's a Subaru not a bloody Mercedes", but I can't really get away with that when she's coming from a Taurus...

Gone but not forgotten:

'00 Porsche Carrera

'88 Porsche 928S4 5sp

Forgotten:

'04 VW R32

'01 BMW M3

Thanks RabidMonk -- this solved the problem!

Now, she's whining about having to remember to turn the headlights off, which she never had to do in the Taurus. Sheesh....

Gone but not forgotten:

'00 Porsche Carrera

'88 Porsche 928S4 5sp

Forgotten:

'04 VW R32

'01 BMW M3

When you turn the ignition key off the exterior lights go out no matter what positon the headlight switch is in. :icon_bigg

And BTW welcome to the site!

This is true of even my old 1990 Legacy. There is a separate parking lights switch on top of the steering column if you want them to stay on while your car is off.

And BTW welcome to the site!

Thanks!

When you turn the ignition key off the exterior lights go out no matter what positon the headlight switch is in. :icon_bigg

Wow, pretty amazing - you guys have overcome every gripe! Awesome. The forum just earned its 25 bucks with this thread alone!

It was a bit of a battle getting her off the Taurus in the first place - she's pretty frugal and hated the thought of replacing a "perfectly good" 10-year old car.

But she grudgingly admitted that the LGT is a fun car to drive. She's never had the experience of driving anything with decent power and handling.

I'll digress...

When I got my 911 (2000 Arena Red / Cashmere leather), she wanted to drive it to her high-school class reunion. I told her that if she learned to drive stick, and then passed my "drivers' test", I'd let her take it. Well she never passed :icon_twis . Probably my loss in hindsight since she never really came to understand why I place such priority on handling and performance.

But she's getting a taste now. She hasn't attempted the Sportshift yet - just putters around in auto, but she likes the acceleration even there.

Gone but not forgotten:

'00 Porsche Carrera

'88 Porsche 928S4 5sp

Forgotten:

'04 VW R32

'01 BMW M3

I hate to sound mean, but have her read the manual. Bet she runs the battery down by accidentally bumping the dumb a$$ parking light switch on the steering column. The other clue you don't have your lights on at night is that the instrument cluster seems too damn bright (if turned up all the way). :cool:
It is still ugly.

IndyTim -

Also, if your wife complains about not being able to see the LCD readout during the day, due to their "dim mode" illumination when the headlamps are engaged, show her the "bright" feature, located on the face of the trip computer readout. :)

This will bring up all gauges and console displays to your daytime preset level.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

IndyTim -

Also, if your wife complains about not being able to see the LCD readout during the day, due to their "dim mode" illumination when the headlamps are engaged, show her the "bright" feature, located on the face of the trip computer readout. :)

This will bring up all gauges and console displays to your daytime preset level.

Yes. Except on the 2006 there is no 'bright' button on the trip computer - you just roll the illumination level up as far as it goes. It'll click and be on 'bright' mode.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

DRLDD (Daytime Running Lights Disablement DONE!)

Upon learning that she had been driving around all evening with no taillights, I concluded that this mod was mandatory.

Gone but not forgotten:

'00 Porsche Carrera

'88 Porsche 928S4 5sp

Forgotten:

'04 VW R32

'01 BMW M3

Yes. Except on the 2006 there is no 'bright' button on the trip computer - you just roll the illumination level up as far as it goes. It'll click and be on 'bright' mode.

^Ah!!! Good to note! Thanks! :D

Archived