LegacyGT.com

Legroom revisited...

Well, I went ahead and did it. I went and drove another 5spd and figured for the money and performance, I'm willing to make a concession or two. ;)

Thanks for the positive words!

Enjoy! :)

Fav site: http://crunchycon.nationalreview.com

Gone but not forgotten:

'00 Porsche Carrera

'88 Porsche 928S4 5sp

Forgotten:

'04 VW R32

'01 BMW M3

I'm sure I will...every day when I'm driving the curvy canyon roads to work. It'll be a very different ride than the 300TE wagon. I'll be picking it up tomorrow at noon!

From what I gather from a lot of posts, and personal experience in an 06 wagon, you probably won't be bothered by passenger leg/foot space IF your inseam is 34" or less, AND your shoe size is 12 (N.A.) or less.

Exceeding either one of these limits and you will probably notice an issue, but it may not bother you.

I am sized 35" and 11 shoe.. so I am right on the cusp.

Personally, the FOOTroom on passenger side is too limited. I want to cut out more TOEroom under the dash and will be exploring what can be taken out or moved in order to do so. And I'd like to know what is on the other side of the firewall there prohibiting Subaru from adding a little more leg length space - like the driver has.

As far as driving position goes for me, it is very helpful to power up the front of the seat leaving the rear down (so it's sloped quite a bit backward) this give thigh support, and is actually much better position for crashing. I'm 6'4" so I also tilt the seat back quite a bit. I have 35" arm length and find that telescopic is not an issue - I don't want the airbag any closer to my face either. Plus from this position I've got a great view of the instruments - much better than I could ever achieve on the larger VW Passat I traded for the subie.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I feel like a girl saying this, but I'm actually closer to 6'4" than 6'3", but who wants to say 6' 3 3/4"? Size 13 shoe. 35" inseam. Point is, I know it's going to be tight in the passenger's seat. Driver is fine. But if you find out any options we could take for the passenger side, please let us know. I would love to be able to set the track on the passenger's side back about 3" or so. That way, on road trips, you could take turns driving and not be hating it. Plus, I will rarely have someone in the back in this car. That's what the Merc wagon is for. Seats 7. ;) Which, btw, I do the same with it's driver seat as you suggested; drop the rear of the seat down and tilt back a little. But in that car, I can pretty much fully extend my legs when it's all the way back.

Countdown: 3 hours till delivery.

But a big factor is that you can not put your feet under the rear of the front seats; There isn't enough clearance....at least not with shoes on.

This really makes a difference in comfort for the back seat passengers.

Absolutely! I have size 14s and there's no place to put'em in the back. It takes a very big car for me to be comfortable in the back without being able to put my feet under the front seats. The only saving grace there with the LGT is that the back seat isn't as big a priority for me as the front. I'll probably never sit in it whereas I'll definately sit in the front passenger's seat when trading off driving, and it'll probably be rare that I'll have three other big folks in the car at once for any long drives.

<somewhat OT>

Is anyone else really annoyed that Subaru cheaped out on rear center armrests in the Legacy wagons? I mean honestly, how much money did they save and what made them think the armrests would be appreciated in every version of the Legacy and Outback except the wagons?

</OT>

I know GT's rear legroom is pretty average for a car of its size but have anyone tried sitting at the back of the new Lexus IS250 yet? That's borderline joke.

I sat in one at the local car show recently and my scalp was lightly butting against the roof lining when i rested my head on the rear head rest and this will be a concern for many as i'm pretty short, 5 foot 6.5 to be exact . The more disconcerting thing is after this tall 6 footer had finsihed with the driver seat adjustment, there was only about 5 inches leg room left for the driver side rear passenger. We both had a chuckle when we saw this. i think It would be cruel to force adults to sit at the back of the new Lexus IS 250/350 for long trip.

jasper

Tall guy here...at 6'1 the LGT can get a bit cramped on long trips. Especially if you're like me and are into running/biking as a hobby and your knees are :icon_surp screaming :icon_surp after nearly an hour on the road.

It helps to but the cruise control on and keep your legs moving under the steering wheel.

I keep my sanity by stopping frequently for snack breaks on long trips :)

Archived