LegacyGT.com

INFO: First timer at the track? Read before you ask...

jsalicru

Things to look out for when hitting the track:

Engine:

Is the oil fresh? If not, make it fresh. Also, it isn't so bad to change the oil right after the track event.

Check the rest of your fluids to ensure they are up to their appropriate levels.

Drivetrain: When was the last time you changed the tranny/diff fluids. if its been long (30k miles?) consider changing those too. Remember the car will be subjected to a lot more stress/heat than usual.

Suspension: Make sure that everything is tight. You do not want to be losing stuff out there. Most likely everything is good but its always nice to check. A nice alignment can go a long ways to providing good times at a track event. It is something to consider.

Wheels/Tires: Inspect tires prior to your outting. Make sure you do not have any nails or anything like that which could cause issues while out at the track. This little thing can make the difference between a great day and a horrible one. (ask BOXRPWR, he knows). Ensure that you torque the tires prior to a session. I have seen people lose tires at an Auto-X, let alone a track day. Consider changing tires to at least a nice Z-rated tire.

Brake Fluid: Stock fluid typically doesn't cut it. Consider switching to a high quality DOT 4 fluid like Motul or ATE. If you have extra money, consider spending extra and getting DOT 5.1 fluid. It has a higher boiling temperature and therefore can take more punishment.

Brake pads: It would be a wise idea to upgrade pads to a set which can hold up to the tasks presented at a trackday event. If its your first time out and you have street tires, you will most likely be ok with only a front set of pads of the street/auto-x/light track duty variety (like Hawk HPS). Once you go out more often, consider switching the front to a track only pad and the rear to a light track pad (at least). Again, check for wear prior to the event, you don't want to run out of pads in the middle of a session.

Other Preparations:

You could consider bringing some blue painter's tape along. Some tracks are dirty and can easily damage your paint from particles coming for other cars.

Also, most tracks REQUIRE that you wear long parts when participating.

Some options that you might want to consider for tracking:

-Suspension upgrades such as sway bars/coilovers/aftermarket springs, corner balancing.

-Stainless steel brake lines.

-Synthetic oils.

-Oil Cooler. If you track often, this might be a must. STi motors have been known to run higher temps at the track, my own personal experience included. I lost oil pressure due to very high oil temps last time I tracked. I installed an oil cooler to remedy the problems.

-Big brake kits.

-R-compound tires. These tires are sticky and offer a great track experience. However, remember to upgrade the brakes accordingly since you will be able to use them much more effectively.

I'm sure there are many more but this is what I can think of now..

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Archived