LegacyGT.com

clunking in front right + alot of turn in?

Jduke

Hey, so I have an appointment tomorrow with the dealer, but figured I'd see if anyone here has had the same problem...

Car was running perfect, (then I let my friend borrow it... i know i know....) Now there is a pretty obviouse clunk comming from the front end when I go over bumps at an angle or while turning, its a clunk you can feel. And the car seems to feel floaty/loose over bumps like the front sway has broken, when turning it feels a bit floaty and the turn in is pretty pernounced. But I checked it all out as best I could and did not see any obviouse problem. I have whiteline sways but they have been on the car for some time now and this problem is new. Let me me know what you guys think. Thanks for your time.

John D.

The turn in happens turning left and right but seems to be more obvious when I turn left, and feels floaty over long dips, I have checked everything but all looks normal...?

just got back from the dealer, the problem was with the whiteline swaybar bushings, they are getting worn out a bit, and were very dry. They took them off cleaned them and lubed them up and all is good, feels great. I will have to get a new set of bushings soon though...

how long have you had your whiteline sways on? I too am getting clunks in the front and back and it is driving me crazy!!!! I'm about to take off these sways and throw them in the garbage. (ok not really, but something has to change)

• 3 weeks later...
I get the same noises as well as what sounds like little moans when going over speed bumps and things of that nature. I am pretty sure its my cusco sway bars/bushings. Once I lubbed them up again and all was good, but the noise came back, I lubbed them up again but it didn't help this time :( Not really sure what to do now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i have an intermittent clunk/bang over bumps while turning.. however my suspension is all stock...

Hit a bump with the wheel turned while going slow and it will clunk a bit. My 97 Outback did it, and my 05 LGT does it (though to a lesser degree) I'm pretty sure it's a known issue with Legacys...I know there are threads on it somewhere around here...

found it:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18340&highlight=steering+clunk

>>>>

From the description you've provided it really sounds like you're describing the rattle/clunk inherent in all Legacys from at least 2nd generation on.

When you go over a raised piece of road, e.g., segment between two streets where the street you're turning into is slightly higher than the street you're turning off, or, you hit a section of road that is bumpy while turning left or right, do you get the noise/sense the looseness in the steering wheel for a bit then it goes away? If so, you have the steering column clunk that I initially mentioned.

There was a "fix" on this for 2nd and 3rd gen Legacys but was supposedly dialed-out in the 4th gens. If this is what you have, then it's nothing to worry about and is truly "normal", albeit disconcerting and frustrating, behavior. If it continues to bother you, figure out how to replicate it and then take it to your dealer and demonstrate it.

If it doesn't seem to be related to the steering column itself (noise and feel), then by all means, get it checked out as anything else I could think of would not be normal behavior.

SBT

• 3 months later...

looks like i am experiencing this clunk noise.

-currently running cusco zero-2coilovers.(stock everything else)

-unfortunately, havent jacked it up yet so unsure if it is strut related or not.

-it doesn's affect anything drive-wise, just an annoying sound when turning in steeply at low-med speed

im about to check the h-brace tues(aug8), just wondering about the sound others have encountered.

i'll have to take off the splash guard tonight because the asshats at the dealer put it on wrong when they changed the oil(yes i know i should do it myself) so i'll check the h-brace then

Archived