LegacyGT.com

Uppipe Install

• 1 month later...
I just completed this upgrade on mine tonight. Car is running fine...no CEL's or anything like that... but I have a LOUD turbo noise. Sounds like one of those Ford Mustang COBRA supercargers. Anyone else have a louder boost sound? If not.... any Ideas what to look for? I will also be posting a thread with my pictures.... Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Nick']A few questions: How much was the STi uppipe? What was the ohm rating of the resistor you used? What did you do with the connector after the install? Thanks, -Nick[/QUOTE] Can you (Stryker) PLEASE answer these questions? :confused: Thanks, -Nick

No way does it sound like one of those loud Cobra S/C, you have an exhaust leak. Check the flange between the manifold and UP, you might need a new gasket, if it is a new gasket, try re-seating it then tighten the bolts down evenly. I can't even hear the difference in mine. [quote name='mccorry']I just completed this upgrade on mine tonight. Car is running fine...no CEL's or anything like that... but I have a LOUD turbo noise. Sounds like one of those Ford Mustang COBRA supercargers. Anyone else have a louder boost sound? If not.... any Ideas what to look for? I will also be posting a thread with my pictures.... Thanks.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Nick']Can you (Stryker) PLEASE answer these questions? :confused: Thanks, -Nick[/QUOTE] [font=Times New Roman][size=3]I think its kind of funny that you ask questions like these. You poke fun at Boxer who contributes a lot to this forum and is far ahead of most in Moding (ask him what he has done) but you haven’t been around long enough to know that these questions have been answered 15 times already…SEARCH!. [/size][/font] [size=3][font=Times New Roman] [/font][/size] [font='Times New Roman']Serious. [/font]

• 1 month later...
[quote name='WW-N-H'][size=2]I am new to turbos, but what about just knocking out the cat in the stock up pipe? Jeff[/size][/QUOTE] have fun. From what I hear it's a bitch. It'll take hours and drill bits. You have to be sure that there is no cat left. Any little bits can mess up your turbo.

[quote name='WW-N-H'][size=2]I am new to turbos, but what about just knocking out the cat in the stock up pipe? Jeff[/size][/QUOTE] a how to [url="http://webpages.charter.net/baraboo_halls/auto/wrx/up/uppipe_fix.html"]http://webpages.charter.net/baraboo_halls/auto/wrx/up/uppipe_fix.html[/url]

It's really not that hard. I gutted a stock wrx pipe for my LGT and it only took me about 1 hour, one drill bit and a small wire wheel to have it completely clean. Drill some holes and beat the piss out of it with a long punch and a big hammer. Had to use some long needle nose pliers to pull the big pieces out. [size=2]It's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be.[/size]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='rclark0032'][font=Times New Roman][size=3]I think its kind of funny that you ask questions like these. You poke fun at Boxer who contributes a lot to this forum and is far ahead of most in Moding (ask him what he has done) but you haven’t been around long enough to know that these questions have been answered 15 times already…SEARCH!. [/size][/font] [size=3][font=Times New Roman] [/font][/size] [font='Times New Roman']Serious. [/font][/QUOTE] [b]This[/b] is the thread where all the uppipe installation information should be, since it is in the "walkthroughs" section. Yes, this infomation may be floating around elsewhere now, but it definitely wasn't back in September when I originally asked the questions. But even if it was, it is nice to consolidate everything so people won't have to search far in the future. So simmer down. Seriously. -Nick

[quote name='siegelracing']2.2 kOhms ($0.69 at Radio Shack) it goes into the harness where the EGT used to plug in. Normally we seal them up with electrical tape and clip them back to the bracket where they came off. Siegel[/QUOTE] Thanks! :)

• 5 months later...
Anyone else with a writeup or contribution to an up and dp install,..Been a while since any contributions and pretty sure a lot more people did an up/dp install,...figure I ask before everyone has done this and havent taken any pics,..:) Just for my 2cents, Ive got scoobymods instructions, but a LGT.com writeup would be more model correct (as I learned from a short shift install) compared to a WRX writeup,.. Plus, what is the correct torque procedure? Up to turbo, then up to pass ex.manifold, etc??? Ive read that one member had a leak at ex. manifold to up, so he torqued that 1st before up to turbo,..I intend on using all new gaskets,.. Anyone with more pics and writeups would be appreciated,..would save me time, $$, and frustration.. thanks abakja1

Here's a question about a "bracket",... Ive read the Vishnu instructions and it seems pretty straight forward,..I have a question though,..since I have a Helix Flex uppipe, do I/members need to loosen the bracket that is affixed to the turbo and uppipe to allow the uppipe flange on upper and lower to align up correctly? Quote from Vishnu instructions: "[font="][i][size=2]PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE HEARING ABOUT VARIANCES IN TURBOCHARGER INSTALLATION ANGLES. PLEASE FOLLOW THESE NEW INSTRUCTIONS TO ASSURE A LEAK-FREE INSTALLATION. Once you have removed the up-pipe, the turbocharger is free floating. The two brackets that locate the turbocharger attach to the up-pipe and to the engine. Please LOOSEN all the associated 14 mm bolts. That is, on the little bridge-type bracket that goes to the top of the head, loosen completely that 14 mm bolt that goes in the head. Then, on the triangle-shaped bracket that is bolted with three (3) 14 mm bolts (one (a nut on a stud, actually) to the up-pipe, one to the side of the engine, and one to the top of the head), loosen the two remaining 14 mm bolts. Once all of those are loose enough that the brackets flop around, you are ready to proceed with the installation. ,..... After tightening the flange on the bottom of the up-pipe, go back to the top and tighten the three nuts that hold the turbo to the up-pipe. Just those three. Then go back under and tighten the manifold to the engine head and then the cross tube bolts. Then go back on top to tighten the last two up-pipe nuts – to the brackets. Now make sure to tighten the three remaining bracket bolts – one on the small bridge-type bracket and two on the triangle-shaped bracket. Dizzy yet? But this technique actually seems to ensure the best possible, leak-proof results[/size][/i].[/font] I know its only like 3 more bolts to undo, but is this a necessary step? Curious cause most installs are for "hard" pipes and wonder if its needed when doing a flex uppipe,.. abakja1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
...dang this is sort of an old thread :)... The STI uppipe does not have a bung because it does not have a catalytic converter. The ONLY reason for the existance of that EGT probe is to monitor the cat. If you get an aftermarket one that is catless (as ALL aftermarket ones should be), there is [b]NO[/b] use for a bung. You do not want to put the stock probe back in, and you do not want to use that location for an aftermarket EGT probe unless your gauge is just for decoration. The only way to get accurate and proper EGT readings is to have the probe ~ 2 inches from the cylinder head exhaust port, in the manifold. The uppipe is much, much too far from the heads. The Vishnu install procedure above is very good. It is [b]very[/b] important to loosen the turbo in order to get a perfect install...... 1) put the uppipe in place with the studs going through the turbo flange but not tightened at all, and the turbo is now loose because you have loosened the bolts on the brackets. 2) bolt the bottom of the uppipe to the manifold 3) tighten the manifold to the cylinder head(s). ...this is the only part where I disagree with Vishnu's instructions above. The manifold should be bolted on before the turbo/uppipe flange is tightened. People often have trouble getting the manifold to bolt flush and it's a common source of small leaks. Since the turbo is able to wiggle a bit though, I think you will be totally fine either way. 4) tighten uppipe to turbo. 5) tighten turbo bracket bolts 6) install downpipe and tighten nuts/bolts in criss cross manner like you do with lug nuts to insure equal pressure across entire flange. ....the rest is easy.... Jeremy BTW -- Instead of taking off the cross pipe from the manifold sides, we highly suggest simply dropping the entire manifold as one piece. It's actually easier this way and you're less likely to get a leak between the manifold sides and the cross pipe... before bolting the uppipe to it, just put the manifold back on the studs and put the nuts on, but don't tighten them down onto the flanges....

• 3 weeks later...

this might help people visualize the up-pipe to turbo coming from exhaust manifold. This is really cool picture btw.. really helps you visualize why a cat converter there can be so restrictive.

Subiegal i took these from your images of the engine pictures

(Hope you dont mind)

up-turbol.JPG.b67ca83ab2a15760ad6dea6c83c49464.JPG

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

• 6 years later...

Archived