LegacyGT.com

Add-a-circuit vs tradition fuse tap

leftride

I am planning my audio install upgrade and need to run a +12Vdc and an ACC. The +12Vdc already has a 2A in-line fuse so I assume that a Littlefuse Add-a-circuit is not necessary and and I can just use a traditional metal fuse tap. The ACC wire on the other hand doesnt have a in-line fuse so I assume I would want to use an Add-a-circuit on that, correct? :confused:

boulderguy, sorry i could have been a little more specific, i am looking at wiring up a Harman Kardon Drive+Play, so similar wiring to a Sat Radio. The ACC will connect to ignition switch’s ACC terminal so the device will turn on and off with the ignition.

well i went ahead a just decided to run both the 12v constant and 12v switched to the fuse box and connect them with add-a-circuits. i figured it would be a cleaner install than jamming a fuse tap in with an existsing fuse.

strange thing though is that i am getting power to the Drive+Play without connecting the ground...i will have to look into that and see whats going on and also find a good spot to connect the ground wire.

Does it power up w/o the ipod or any other accessory attached? If not it's actually using the ground from the accessory (wierd). How does it wire into the HU or amp - speaker lines? They probably are on a comman ground system. Or if it's hardwired into the antenna it's getting ground there (most likely). Watch out for ground-loop induced alternator noise...

I have a constant power, and a switched power running to the Drive+Play, the ipod is connected to the drive+play (the ipod also receives power from the drive and play) and the audio out from the Drive+Play is running to the stereo via Jazzy's board. other than the two power leads the audio out is the only other thing connecting it to the car, my only though was that that was grounding it somehow (doesnt make sense but thats all i could think of)...i havent played with it since late last night.

Boulderguy do you know of a place to ground near the fuse box? is there a screw/bolt i can tap into?

thanks for all the help.

boulderguy, you were spot on....if i removed the audio out, i lost my ground. i also went ahead and grounded to the bracket on the HU and i have virtually no ground loop noise. now for some cosmetic work and the install will be done.

thanks!

Archived