LegacyGT.com

Help: prep for first track day

rosta

I have 2 months to get my lgt ready for it's first track day on May 24th at Thunderhill. :icon_bigg

Are there any basic things I should do such as a fresh oil change, other fluid levels? If I stick to my normal engine oil interval, I will have about 2,500 miles on it's first M1 change. Should I just throw one more dino change in now and put fresh syn in for TD?

I recall reading something about cooling down properly after a session. What's recommended with a turbo?

Here is some background concerning mods that will be done by TD.

Swift F & R swaybars

Swift springs/stock struts

18X7.5 Enkei RP02/225/40/18 RT-615'2

AP Stage 1

PDE UP

KB STS & bushing

Bitchin' driving gloves :lol:

That's it for now. I currently have no plans on changing brake pads or anything brake-wise. I'm sure I would have a great time bone stock but I think my mods to date will make things more interesting. I'm 99% sure I won't overdrive my car. My "budget" went to $hit when I saw those Enkei's on sale.

OT: I'm thinking of powder coating my RP02's black. It's $50 per wheel and at this point I'm having a hard time justifying a non-performance expense. They sure would look sweet......

Any and all advice will be helpful. I'm sure there are points I have not thought of or things I've just wasted money on. All I'm asking, is for those who have TD experience, noob to seasoned chime in. Even mundane info like "bring shelter" is helpful. This forum has been a wealth of info for me and I'm looking forward to the replies.

Ross

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're better off spending your money on performance than looks, powdercoated wheels don't do anything for the track. If your oil is relatively fresh, keep it and change it after you're done. Upgrade your brake fluid from the stock stuff. Better brake pads are a good investment, nothing like that wonderful feeling of your foot hitting the floor just before your car hits the barrier. Drive at a comfortable speed, build up to it. Be aware of faster cars, and let them go. You can learn a lot by watching their line. A $7 walmart large mirror is a great item to have when starting off, it keeps you from being surprised. Check your tire pressures and wear, you can easily kill a tire at a track event. A cheap laser pyrometer (under $80) can help you check tire and brake system temps. Don't be afraid to ask for help, most people would be flattered to be asked. Have fun, drive safe, and keep it all in one piece.

I wdn't worry about the oil change. Do get a good alignment and dial in a little negative camber. do change the brake fluid and have the brakes inspected - upgrade to fluid that has a higher boiling point. remember to check the torque specs on your lugnuts. don't overinflate your tires before hitting the track. it's not a bad idea to run the car for a few minutes after exiting the track. don't hold your foot on the brake pedal and don't engage the handbrake - find a flat spot and put the the car in gear before turning it off.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Since this is the car's first track day, what is your personal driving experience? If you don't have any sort of high performance seat time, an autocross or two would be a really good idea. There are quite a few going on in and around the bay area these next 1-2 months. An autocross is a safe to place to tune your suspension and practice your car control skills in a forgiving environment.

Take is easy at Thunderhill, there are some tricky corners and you will have a lot to learn. Having an instructor would be a really good idea. The good thing about the track is that there are very few walls, the biggest concern is going off sideways and rolling the car.

It's important to have fun while you are learning, so enjoy.

brake fluid is a must for thill. i would seriously recommend a pad upgrade too. the hawk hps would be great once theyre out. otherwise you should be good. bring something to act as a tire chock so you dont have to use your parking brake after a session. i would change the oil before and after. its cheap and easy...no real reason not to. bring a torque wrench....check your lugs before you head out on track.

thill is a great first track day...have fun

I am reconsidering the brake mods. Thanks for your input.

Bump for more opinions...........:munch:

AP and tires + stock brake pads = not a good thing. Get some fluid and track pads (at least get a set of the front brake pads). You can run on the stock brake lines, rotors and calipers, but at least change the front pads and fluid.

Keefe

strongly suggest getting braided ss brake lines. they are a cheap but very effective mod. change to Super Blue fluid. these simple changes will vastly improve brake pedal feel, modulation and braking performance.

strongly suggest getting braided ss brake lines. they are a cheap but very effective mod. change to Super Blue fluid. these simple changes will vastly improve brake pedal feel, modulation and braking performance.

but it can be somewhat of a bad thing for a new track driver if they over-cook the brakes and panic about the turn.

Just go with better track pads, then you'll be ok.

Keefe

i think hes saying pads are a must. fluid is definitely a must as well. lines would be a plus IMO. i used stock pads with super blue my first outing at thill. the pads faded horrendously at the end of the session and i lost tons of braking power at the end of the back straight. made the final turn a bit hairy.

pads+fluid FTW

Keefe - now I've seen it all! you're advocating spongey brakes???!!!

how can better pedal feel and modulation ever be a bad thing? you can mash the stock setup to the firewall just as easily.

for a new track guy, yes.

Reason:

it's easier to modulate something with a wider range of motion than it is to deal with an on-off switch, especially in a new environment where smoothness counts..

Here's a technique to learn and maybe try next time on a turn that doesn't require a downshift. If you get the chance (safely), practice with some left foot braking. With the harder control of the left foot and shorter pedal travel using SS lines, it's going be one abrupt stopping input.. with some slack in the stock brake lines, it's going to be easier to feel out when using left-foot braking at first. Your mistakes that you can make while practicing won't be as grave and dramatic so it makes it easier to learn.

Just imagine if you had to re-learn your foot work with a new eleventy-billon psi clutch pressure plate... sure it would be easier to drive on the track since it's on and off, but if you had to drive that clutch through traffic, you'll curse at it because it would be soo hard to slip the clutch to creep in traffic.

I am just making a point that the lines can come AFTER the brake pads if money is an issue (and it is since he spent all that money on the tires and wheels).

As the skill increases and pedal control is better, you can CERTAINLY upgrade to new lines to shorten the pedal travel and make it more direct.. it's learning from the ground up.

Keefe

okay, I'll shutup after this comment, but jez.......

with the braided ss lines, the braking action isn't less controllable. it just eliminates the "dead zone" in the brake pedal motion where little effective braking is taking place.

the ability to modulate or regulate the amount of braking force remains in place because you still have to move the brake pedal through a meaningful distance. yes, the braking action does happen more "instantaneous" but not necessarily more abruptly. I deem that a good thing because when I start pressing on the brake pedal.....I'd personally like the brakes to start doing something right away!

I strongly doubt that a first-timer would be adversely affected by getting braided lines.

(flame suit on now)

You hold a very logical and well-noted comment. It's not something bad or anything. Just looking out the for the first-timers and such. It's up to him to where he wants to spend the $130 so dollars:

brake pads

or

brake lines

I'll take the brake pads first ;)

Veterans will appreciate the brake lines more when they deem it neccessary to have just to have a faster input overall with the car.

When I had the GT, I ran with stock lines for a good 3 to 4 track days with just track brake pads, brake fluid, and tires. Dont really need much, especially through the learning stages.

Keefe

for track use, get Carbotech XP10s for now. http://www.brakeswap.com can get them for you for a good price.

I wouldnt use the Endless SS pads (or any other street-oriented pad for that matter) on the track if you want to plan on driving super fast and slamming on the brakes. The Endless SS-M pad has a temp range of 900F that can do light track use, but dont go balls out with them as they will also overheat evenutally.

Track pads can do something like 1200F to 1600F range and that's something you can stomp on and not worry about the pads glazing over (aka overheating and turning into a slippery as ice, or brake fade).

Keefe

Archived