LegacyGT.com

2006 Outback will rust to pieces in 10yrs?

According to the Swedish 'rust-tests' made by car magazine, the new Subaru Legacy/Outback have the worst kind of rust-protection and alot of soft water absorbing pieces that will cause the bodywork to rust early.

What do you guys say about this? The tests say it is alot worse on new Legacy/Outback than the previous models.

:confused:

We'll see. My car is covered in salt 24/7 almost all winter (the roads are white most of the winter, and you should swap out your air cleaner more often up here because of the salt dust on dry days), so I hope they are wrong. I am trying to wash it way more often, including getting the hose out and spraying down the undercarriage and wheel wells regularly.
neil

Guest *Jedimaster*
I thought these cars were really well rustproofed- remember the picture of the car being dipped at the factory?

Well, if we have problems, then the USA auto makers (and others I'm sure) have even bigger issues. When you get a chance, examine different makes and see if they use seam sealer around the perimeter of the doors, where the outer door skins are crimped over the inner door structure. Subaru (and the other big Asian mfgs) uses sealer all the way around the door. Others like Mitsu and some Chryslers, only on the bottom edge, and others such as Ford and GM don't have any. The Ford Fusions I have looked at don't even have the bottom edge crimped fully flat against the inner panel. It formed a nice little V-shaped trough for sand, salt, water, etc to sit in and fester. Nice design job guys. :lol:
It is still ugly.

yeah... but dipped in what?

E-coat electrodeposition primer...... its good stuff.

The rusting issue is more likely due to salt and debris getting behind the facia panels on the outbacks.....

here is a link to report for alot of car makers:

http://www.vibilagare.se/rostregistret.asp

it is in swedish though, but you can use the drop-down boxes to select make/model and then you see a scale on the next page from 1 to 5 where 1 is bad and 5 is good

Maby there's a difference in your USA built Subarus and our Japan built?

Considering that 90% of all the subarus built in the last 10 years are still on the road, I really don't think you have a whole lot to worry about. They might get rusty, but that can be dealt with through proper paint care. Most cars will rust away in 10 years if left on its own, so proper cleaning is the best defense to protecting your investment.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

yea i have noticed the paint is crappy ... its soo soo easy to scratch

Paint, Ecoat, and undercoat are all different things.....

You need to understand that there are multiple layers of coatings on your car... each with a specific purpose....

Bare metal - structural rigidity and shape

Phosphate wash - To clean and etch the metal for the first coating

E-coat - this is the dip bath... where the entire car is submerged in a charged bath. This is the corrosion inhibiting coating.

Primer / Adhesion promoter - used to treat the Ecoat so that the basecoat (color coat) will stick

Basecoat - this is the coating that has your coloring (Regal Blue, etc.)

Clear coat - this is the top layer. It gives the high gloss finish and protection from scratches, marring, and UV radiation.

Just because the paint scratches or chips easily doesn't mean you'll get rust. It depends on how deep the chip goes.....

Krown rust control.....

AAA and CAA approved and recommended. I think they are the only antirust company that is actually recommended.

Up here in Canada, where they dump TONS of salt and sand each winter, I needed some extra protection....did the research and went with Krown.

http://www.krown.com/

What Subaru did here in Sweden before the last version of the Legacy, was to cover the everything with wax. Since the new model they stopped this, the car is now galvanised. The article said that they could feel the moisture in some kind of cravice(?).

The best thing this magazine did in the subject of rustproofing was to reviel(?) how bad Mercedes rustproofing IS!!

I'll change my car before the warrantee ends anyway

I wouldn't worry about it. For one, labratory tests and real world tests do differ greatly. Remember these tests are worst case scenarios and don't prove a whole lot and are sometimes very subjective. Keep your car clean, put paint protector on your car prior to winter and just treat it well and I don't think you will have any problems.

If in 8 or 10 years you have rust issues and you plan on keeping it longer, get sections repainted. Not a big deal!

Or you can by a car that won't rust in 10 years but require 1000's of dollars in mechanical repairs. I will take my chances with rust over an unreliable car.

Not a big deal...

-S

Archived