LegacyGT.com

Xenonk's 9th Set of rims (4th Set of rims on the GT)

Xenonk

I'll cut right to the pix: [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/xenonk2828/GT-WHEELS3/Picture607.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/xenonk2828/GT-WHEELS3/Picture606.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/xenonk2828/GT-WHEELS3/Picture605.jpg[/img] I give thanks to [url]www.tireswap.com[/url] for the fast service and help to get these rims for me. Specs: Wheels- Anthracite SSR Competition 17" x 7.5", 5x100mm, +48mm offset @ 12.5 lbs each Tires- Falken Azenis RT-215 225/45/17 @ 25 lbs each Keefe
Keefe

There is no perfect set of rims (since my taste is everyone's dream... a set of 18"x9" with an offset that would work, and weigh 10 lbs or less and a set of 265/30/18s Radial Wet Hoosiers for the rain and Hoosiers for the dry days. So with that said, one can never have 1 wheel/tire combo to satisfy such needs, so I at least I have 3 to 4 to use to satisfy the various needs based on the conditions. As for suspension, it will be dropped next week with coilovers. I will do what I can to try out new things, but not to the point where my car will sit up on jack stands for more than a weekend's worth of time or the engine/tranny out for more than a few hours in a given month. Keefe
Keefe

I think its great that you put yrself out there to try new concepts, looks and styles. I would say like most in here, they would if they could as well but the BLING by the end of the week just isn't there. Thanks for the updates XenonK, keep them rollin. Adam.

Those look really nice on the Legacy, better then I thought they would. It looks like they have a polished lip, do they? Also about your suspension, what day are you doing the install, if you don't mind I would like to stop by to see how its done and could probably lend a hand if needed.

The rims have a polished lip, the rest is colored Anthracite. The coilovers will come in sometime next week. It is a set of Zeal/Endless V6 Coilovers with 8kg front, 6kg rear spring rates (the softer set). It should be the same amount of time and practice of doing the suspension on the WRX. I can let you know when I will get them in exactly, most likely I will work on the car the MOMENT THEY ARRIVE on my door step.. you can IM (KeefeQLee) me for directions to my garage. Keefe
Keefe

Great looking/Perf set-up. Your 17/7.5 and 225/45/17 combo is exactly what I want to use. Can you provide any driving experience yet? I bet the steering feels better with the 225s. What about fitment? Have you tried any hard driving, dips etc.? Do the tires fit well within the fender, any major increase is tires throwing water/mud up on car? Great looking set-up and anxious to hear about suspension changes. Are you looking for looks (lowered) or a more controlled variable rate spring feel? Thanks to our new Leg GT Lab.

As for the rims, you want to go light. I had a set of 225/40/18 on the car (that was a 42 lb weight setup). I've been told the stock setup (215/45/17) is 43 lbs give or take. Currently, the SSRs (on 225/45/17) are in the range of 37 lbs give or take one pound. The grip is definitely better with any other tire. RE92s just dont have the rubber compound to compare to a dedicated summer tire like a Yokohama Parada Spec2 18" or the Falken Azenis. The difference is noticeable in the amount of steering input and feedback. The 18" (even around the same weight) will feel slightly sluggish since the mass is at the hoop of the rim, not the centerpiece. The weight savings from the SSRs is where the car shines the best, with braking feel is more direct and less effort is needed to stop the car, the turn-ins (along with a STIFF sidewall from the Falken Azenis) gives the car a feeling of an 18" rim turn-in. My thoughts for pure driving experience for ANY car: Lighter rim and a tire that can give you tremendous grip.. aim to go lighter overall than stock rims AND tires, or find a comprimise between the two. As for clearance issue, I have fitted some crazy sizes, but afterall, we all just have to do the math. I have crammed in safely on stock height at 225/40/18 tires on a 18"x7.5" +40mm rim without a problem. We could go wider, but the option to lower the car will be deleted. The wider tires dont really dirty up the car too much. I say it's just dirt, wash it off. The stickier the tire, the more pebbles and rocks you can fling up on your car when you really turn the wheels from lock to lock.. just try not to do that too much or drive slower to prevent it from happening. The suspension is pretty much fully adjustable except for rear camber changes (multi-link type in the rear will require different camber equipment). The coilovers I am ordering will allow me to corner balance the car, lower to whatever look I want, and still give me the control and clearance I need to make the car drive perfectly. I guess I will be the DIY kind of guy that doesnt run a shop around here.. you all can ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer them. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk']As for the rims, you want to go light. I had a set of 225/40/18 on the car (that was a 42 lb weight setup). I've been told the stock setup (215/45/17) is 43 lbs give or take. Currently, the SSRs (on 225/45/17) are in the range of 37 lbs give or take one pound. The grip is definitely better with any other tire. RE92s just dont have the rubber compound to compare to a dedicated summer tire like a Yokohama Parada Spec2 18" or the Falken Azenis. The difference is noticeable in the amount of steering input and feedback. The 18" (even around the same weight) will feel slightly sluggish since the mass is at the hoop of the rim, not the centerpiece. The weight savings from the SSRs is where the car shines the best, with braking feel is more direct and less effort is needed to stop the car, the turn-ins (along with a STIFF sidewall from the Falken Azenis) gives the car a feeling of an 18" rim turn-in. My thoughts for pure driving experience for ANY car: Lighter rim and a tire that can give you tremendous grip.. aim to go lighter overall than stock rims AND tires, or find a comprimise between the two. As for clearance issue, I have fitted some crazy sizes, but afterall, we all just have to do the math. I have crammed in safely on stock height at 225/40/18 tires on a 18"x7.5" +40mm rim without a problem. We could go wider, but the option to lower the car will be deleted. The wider tires dont really dirty up the car too much. I say it's just dirt, wash it off. The stickier the tire, the more pebbles and rocks you can fling up on your car when you really turn the wheels from lock to lock.. just try not to do that too much or drive slower to prevent it from happening. The suspension is pretty much fully adjustable except for rear camber changes (multi-link type in the rear will require different camber equipment). The coilovers I am ordering will allow me to corner balance the car, lower to whatever look I want, and still give me the control and clearance I need to make the car drive perfectly. I guess I will be the DIY kind of guy that doesnt run a shop around here.. you all can ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer them. Keefe[/quote] I understand the benefits of unsprung weight and it's effects on performance, I'd just rather have 18" wheels for the street, as the effects here shouldn't be as prominent. As for the track, there is no doubt it my mind I'd want to run lighter wheels/tires. Azenis are HEAVY too btw. However there are such things as lightweight 18s. That's why I still want 18x7.5 CE28Ns...about 15lbs a piece IIRC...

I have the SSR comps in 18x8 which weight about 14.8 lbs each. The wheel and tire set up I am going (Volk GT-C 18x8 w/+48 offset and Toyo Proxes 4's) will weigh in at 39lbs....I'm happy with that. I'm still loosing rotational mass for street use.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Here are some quick computations to give you ideas on what your engine is lugging around. The engine cares more about the moment created by the tire/rim combination than the actual weight. The weight does matter, but where the weight is felt in relation to the center of the rim matters most. First, the assumptions… The locations of mass are estimates based on how much material is on the rim of the wheel/tire, vs. the corresponding spokes/sidewall.(ROM = Ring of Mass) An 8” width wheel will have a larger percentage of the wheel material on the rim than a 7” wheel, so the ring of mass is further from center for larger widths. The same is true of the tires and plus a stiffer sidewall means more material in the sidewall, hence a ring of mass closer to the center of the rim. Stock is the stock rim and tire Stk/Lt Tire is the stock rim with a light tire 17” SSR/Azen is Kevin’s current set-up 17” SSR/Lt Tire is Kevin’s Rim with a light tire 18” CE28N is Drift Monkey’s set-up 18*8” SSR is BoxerGT2.5’s set-up 18*8 Rim/Lt Tire is an 18” rim that weighs the same as stock and light tires [code:1:d38f67e4d1] Stock Stk/Lt Tire 17” SSR/Azen 17” SSR/Lt Tire Wheel Wgt 18 18 12.5 12.5 Wheel ROM 70% 70% 72% 72% Tire Wgt 24 20 25 21 Tire ROM 65% 60% 62% 62% Tot Wgt 42 38 37.5 33.5 Moment 370.5 322.8 350.8 307 18” CE28N 18*8” SSR 18*8 Rim/Lt Tire Wheel Wgt 15 14.8 18 Wheel ROM 75% 78% 78% Tire Wgt 24 24.2 24 Tire ROM 70% 72% 72% Tot Wgt 39 39 42 Moment 376.8 378.1 398.3[/code:1:d38f67e4d1] So if you stay with the stock rim and put on a light tire, you reduce the moment by 50 lbs/in. Going to light 17*7.5” rims and light tires reduces it by ~65 lbs/in. But, if you put on an 18 inch rim, unless you can find a really light tire, the moment will go up, even if the weight goes down by 3-4 pounds. With an 18 inch rim that is the same weight as the stock rim, and light tires, you increase your moment by ~20 lb/in. Greater moment is less acceleration, especially when multiplied by 4. Hope this helps… Ted
:spin:

I couldnt put it any better myself. Now I hope why everyone understands that I went with a 17" SSR with a heavyweight tire (Falken Azenis 225/45/17 @ 25 lbs) rather than a super light 18" rim with an ULTRA light tire (Toyo T1-s still tips the scale at 22 lbs for 225/40/18). 17"x7.5" SSR = 12.5 lbs 225/45/17 Falken Azenis = 25 lbs Total weight = 37.5 lbs vs. 18x"7.5" Ultra Lightweight Rim = 'X' 225/40/18 Toyo T1-S = 22 lbs Total weight to make the 18" comparable to the set up above = Significantly less than 37.5 lbs... so the 18" rim has to be at least less than 15.5 lbs (37.5 lbs - 22 lbs > 'X') .. If anyone can find me a 18"x7.5" or 8" rim that weighs LESS than 15 lbs FULL FORGED rims (cast rims dont come THIS LIGHT) and cost less than $300 each, then I'll go buy it. Otherwise, there is no need boat loads of money on a rim that you are not to take full advantage of it's weight savings and performance. Unless there is a really good justification for having 18"s or 20"s on the track (which means the GT would have to be as beastly in torque as a new Viper or C6 Corvette), I dont see the point of spending lots of money on 18" high performance rims to be used just on the street. I say, know what you are buying and the intended use of the rim. If someone wants to show the world that they have money to burn, might as well get a set of HREs or Fikse instead of Volks for street use, and if you break them, get the same set to replace them. The idea here is trying to be cost effective here without killing the drive (or your wallet). In my case, keeping it all under $1800 (mounted and balanced) was ideal for my situation for a set of hard running set of tires. Not many tires out there to really choose for an 18" 225/40/18 except for MXs, T1-S, S03s, RA-1s, Hoosiers, or V700s. If you can name me a 18" tire that can deliver such performance that matches the Azenis for $120/new tire (yes, I got them for $120 each) or less at a size of 225/40/18, let me know. Keefe
Keefe

All right, I more accurately modeled the shape of the rim to get a better idea on where the ring of mass occurs. This is then applied with the parameters mentioned in the earlier post. The results are different, but the differences between them are close to the same. They are still pretty rough without a more accurate guess on where the ring of mass occurs for the tires. So... [code:1:692346fc68] Stock Stk/Lt Tire 17” SSR/Azen 17” SSR/Lt Tire Wheel Wgt 18 18 12.5 12.5 Wheel ROM 76.1% 76.1% 77.2% 77.2% Tire Wgt 24 20 25 21 Tire ROM 65% 60% 62% 62% Tot Wgt 42 38 37.5 33.5 Moment 376.3 329.4 350.0 307.1 18” CE28N 18*8” SSR 18*8 Rim/Lt Tire Wheel Wgt 15 14.8 18 Wheel ROM 78.8% 78.8% 78.8% Tire Wgt 24 24.2 24 Tire ROM 72% 72% 72% Tot Wgt 39 39 42 Moment 387.0 387.0 408.2[/code:1:692346fc68] If someone has a good performance tire cutaway, I can get even closer... Ted
:spin:

Ted, that is some awesome #s to compare by (moment #s that is). I guess the magic number is matching or going lower than the stock numbers to keep the drive feel the same not to mention on the rest of the dynamics of the car... do mind if you can PM the link or program you use to calculate the moments and ROMs? It's probably an easy set of equations, but right now I dont have the time to search for such info since I am heading out to a WRX meet. Thanks! Keefe
Keefe

Archived