LegacyGT.com

Blind spot mirrors available?

tjm0852

The wide setting is great for me...I am able to have a full scan without moving my head to look in all mirrors. By the time I lose a car in my rear view mirror, it is already coming into view on my side mirrors. When it is out of view on my side mirrors, I can see it in my peripheral vision. It's much safer, and like has been previously stated, it reduces the glare of cars directly behind you.

+10

Highly recommended. Instead of setting your mirrors to see the side of your car looking straight back, twist them out a little further, blind spot found. Plus, if you want to look straight behind you through them, you sort of just lean to the side a bit.

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

I want to ask everyone with your lean this way and cock your head that way, then do the hokey-pokey, if they have are actually seen(in person) or used aspherical mirrors?

There is NO comparison!

I HAVE aspherical mirrors on both my vw's and have ZERO blind spots! I can see the bumper of my car as well anything along side me and in what would typically be the blind spot.

Just my opinion.

^ The problem with assuming that your asphericals cover every angle ( which, undeniably, they do :) ) is that you're not covering your own blind-spots, visually. Even with practiced, "scanning"-type rapid eye movements, it's still possible for you to miss something quite easily.

Head-checks are mandatory. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Definitely.

My ugly AutoZoneMurray'sDiscountPepBoys stick-ons are testament to my belief in this respect.

For me, I truly would love this set of mirror lenses, but even with them in, I'm not going to forego the head-check. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a head check.

The reason why they use them in crowded Asian cities is the same reason I use them where I do most of my driving. Because when your are in bumper to bumper traffic traveling at highway speeds if you turn to do a head check there is a good chance you'll end up in the backseat of the person in front of you. Not good!

^ Gotcha. :)

And good point.

There's a time to head-check, and there's a time to both know and trust your mirrors. :)

I want to ask everyone with your lean this way and cock your head that way, then do the hokey-pokey, if they have are actually seen(in person) or used aspherical mirrors?

There is NO comparison!

I HAVE aspherical mirrors on both my vw's and have ZERO blind spots! I can see the bumper of my car as well anything along side me and in what would typically be the blind spot.

Just my opinion.

I forgot to mention yesterday how cool those mirrors were. But, vehicles in the US come with traditional ones. Until people actually buy them, some of us were just recommending an insane idea of how to properly adjust your side mirrors. Thankfully I was receptive to the concept when my brother showed me a few years ago. Its now obvious the whole idea has been misunderstood. People who adjust their mirrors properly don't necessarily need to turn their head or do the hokey pokey to see around them.

...People who adjust their mirrors properly don't necessarily need to turn their head or do the hokey pokey to see around them.

Honestly, you still should head-check.

Although your mirrors are set so that there's "no blind spots," your own vision isn't necessarily the same.

We all have, as individual human beings, slightly differing visual field defects which may manifest under different circumstances - and you don't want to find out about yours when your B-pillar is impaled by another driver's front quarter panel. :)

Even if you rapidly scan your eyes, you may still experience holes/gaps.

Unless the situation specifically calls for not having a head-check due to other safety concerns, it's the only way to overcome your own visual system defects. :)

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a head check.

The reason why they use them in crowded Asian cities is the same reason I use them where I do most of my driving. Because when your are in bumper to bumper traffic traveling at highway speeds if you turn to do a head check there is a good chance you'll end up in the backseat of the person in front of you. Not good!

If you are in thick traffic and you are not double checking with a quick head twist, your crazy. That was the first thing I learned in driver's ed when changing lanes, always be sure. If you were 3 sec. behind someone like you should be, a head check is easy no matter where you are. I learned about city driving in Boston. I can ride people's butt all day if I choose and still know exactly where everyone is, all the time.

Honestly, you still should head-check.

Although your mirrors are set so that there's "no blind spots," your own vision isn't necessarily the same.

We all have, as individual human beings, slightly differing visual field defects which may manifest under different circumstances - and you don't want to find out about yours when your B-pillar is impaled by another driver's front quarter panel. :)

Even if you rapidly scan your eyes, you may still experience holes/gaps.

Unless the situation specifically calls for not having a head-check due to other safety concerns, it's the only way to overcome your own visual system defects. :)

I do head-check. :lol: Some people are saying they can't safely do it sometimes or don't need to with aspherical mirriors.

^ Man, READING truly is > ALLEN today! :lol:

ok, ok. I'm basing all this on highway driving in Orlando, which sucks. Many people drive slow in the left lane, enter the highway with their brakes on because they don't know what merge means. Most of the time I'm overtaking everyone when I get my chance, the ones driving in the groups nearly side by side, three lanes wide for halfs of miles or more. My concerns are usually ahead of me not behind me. Those mirrors are cool but I don't need them. With a combination of head-checking and mirror set-up, I'm good to go. No lights in my eyes at night as well.

im glad some one else explained the proper mirror settings. if in your side view mirrors your looking at the side of your car... your wasting mirror space. is there ever going to be anything right next to your car? and if u have it so that u see the side of your car, over half of the road and trafic u see has already been covered in the rear view mirror. set the mirror so when driving the lane markers go straight up and down the mirror, not on an angel across the mirror. but the mirrors posted ar cool to

Thanks for all the mirror setting tips, but you are ALL missing the point.

If you used those mirrors you would know what I am talking about and know how much better they are then the stock ones. And at the same time they eliminate the need for constant head checks.

Whatever works best for the individual I guess.

You guys adjust your mirrors and jerk your heads around until you get whiplash, I am going to get a set for myself. ;)

No one said the mirrors weren't a good idea, everyone complimented them. They are very cool. I have experienced mirrors like that, including the little adhesive blind spot mirrors. Everyone bent on getting them seems to be missing the counter-point.

tjm0852, while you are waiting for your mirrors, could just try the wide setup? :)

I'm not trying to deter any purchases, just illustrate other ways.

No one said the mirrors weren't a good idea, everyone complimented them. They are very cool. I have experienced mirrors like that, including the little adhesive blind spot mirrors.

+1

If available, I'd definitely get them. :)

I'm just a big proponent of the persistent and habitual head-check ( seeing as I'm a visual-science researcher, I really don't trust my eyes to do the work, alone! :lol: ).

For me, the problem with "wide-set" - or, rather, PROPERLY set - outside mirrors is that I must, every day, back into my very narrow/confined garage spaces, and that setting makes for much harder work in doing so. As such, I've gone with the next-best thing, which is to have those pesky little stick-ons.

It's really too bad that our LGTs came with neither these asphericals - nor auto-tilt/park features. :(

It's really too bad that our LGTs came with neither these asphericals - nor auto-tilt/park features. :(

Boxster mirrors tilt down when you put it in reverse, neat feature.

I have a feeling those asphericals will end up on my car. :icon_tong They look awesome. Although, I think, I would still set them slightly wide.

^ I'm actually very tempted to try those.....

I can attest to the fact that for "stick-on's," the heat feature will be retained. Even with the el-cheapo Murray'sAutoPartsPepBoysNAPAAdvanceAutoAutoZoneWalMart little square or round stick-on mirrors, the heat from our mirrors is enough to pass-on to the accessory mirror, and defrost/demist it.

While looking for the mirrors I found this:

http://www.motorists.com/right/adjust_mirrors.html

I agree... never had a problem, nor did I have to "head check" the side lane when it was adjusted properly... EXCEPT when there was more than one lane to the left... which doesn't happen that often for me anyway :D

I don't care for the wide-angle mirrors... they distort the view too much for me to appreciate them. You can't gauge distance with them, so you still end up doing a head check... but I guess for some, it beats the stick-ons or other similar doo-dads.

As for parking, I guess it would be more annoying with a properly-adjusted standard mirror... but honestly, I don't have much need to parallel park where I live. Still, when I do, I never had a power mirror that tilts down, so I just do it the old-fashioned way...

Archived