LegacyGT.com

Front lower arm rear bushing

cantona156

I just found this same problem on my car. I had been hearing a fairly quiet clunk from the front end under low speed braking situations. I'm going to go back under my car today to look around again for what could be the cause of this clunk, but the drivers side bushing is deffinatly torn.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Well guy, my passenger side bushing is fubar. When my car was on the lift getting an alignment the tech could move the entire arm with his hand. This may be why my car keeps making a clunking noise when I stop/go suddenly or turn. I really don't want to get another OEM part only to change it again in another 36K miles. But I don't want to spend 200 bucks for Perrin's part that might fail too. What do you guys think I should do?
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I've tried to look into replacing my bushings with after market bushings, they just don't exist afaik. No poly bushing kits exist for the Legacy yet, so your choices are the OEM bushing or the Perrin bushing. I had spherical bushings on my Camaro. I had good results with it and people who have used the Perrin bushing on their Leggy's have had similar results. Just go with the Perrin.

• 1 month later...

Patience, children. A copy of my post on MRTRally.com.au:

Ok - the order has been placed with Wholesale Suspension (Josh - great, easy-to-talk-to guy) and today I rang Fulcrum & spoke with Steve (retail distribution) to confirm how the process will work.

They now have a part number for these bushes!

. SPF2802K MY04-onwards Subaru Liberty lower control arm bush

The bush construction is as follows:

1/ An (standard mold) nolathane bush

2/ An eccentric (sometimes offset) tube that fits in the nolathane bush

The tube is what gives us the option of varying caster.

• Without the offset, the caster delta is unchanged. This is what you'd order if your car already has more left-hand caster.
  • With one tube without offset & the other with offset, you could add caster on one side only. This is what I've been recommended (same as Peter, I believe).
  • With both tubes offset, you can correct a large caster delta issue - you can reduce the caster on one side & add caster on the other side.

The offset tube provides a 1/2 degree caster change. Using two offset bushes asymmetrically will provide caster delta adjustment of 1 degree.

Steering drift fine-tuning can also be adjusted using camber - more left-hand-side camber will correct a left-drift (i.e. help the car pull back to the centre of the road).

Simple, eh? I'm excited! http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/icon_smile_big.gif

[edit] Steve from Fulcrum rocks!

The mob making these can be found at http://www.fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/. More info will be posted once the bushes have been fitted.

Ok - the first production bushes have been fitted to my mate's 3.0R. Here's what he had to say:

"...These new bushes are a cool blue colour, solid and they look expensive but at a retail of AUD$145....i think cheap.

The OEM ones are just rubber but these are a combination or uerophane and neurophane (sorry about the spelling) and are self lubricating, the suspension guys said that they will actually be quieter than the OEM rubber ones.

The car definately steers better, it had a tendency to steer to the left on the freeway which is now gone and my alignment was not out. Definately much better feedback to and it keeps its line through corners. I sort of felt that you were correcting the steering through the corners and this is a big improvement, you can point the car better and its more precise. In terms of road harshness i was expecting this to increase but it just feels like i've got 40 psi in the front tyres.

I've just thrown it through a couple of corners in the local streets and it definately turns in better to, they have adjusted the camber slightly and they said that the tyres would wear 1000km earlier or so, which will improve handling anyway. I'm very happy and definately worth the dollars, total cost was AUD$380 including front and rear alignment..."

Mine are at the suspension shop waiting for me - they'll be fitted in a week. I'll take photos & let you know how I get on.

Awesome! I will ordering one 1st thing come Monday!

I suppose the 3.0R parts and GT parts are compatible?

Thanks!

Ok - the first production bushes have been fitted to my mate's 3.0R. Here's what he had to say:

"...These new bushes are a cool blue colour, solid and they look expensive but at a retail of AUD$145....i think cheap.

The OEM ones are just rubber but these are a combination or uerophane and neurophane (sorry about the spelling) and are self lubricating, the suspension guys said that they will actually be quieter than the OEM rubber ones.

The car definately steers better, it had a tendency to steer to the left on the freeway which is now gone and my alignment was not out. Definately much better feedback to and it keeps its line through corners. I sort of felt that you were correcting the steering through the corners and this is a big improvement, you can point the car better and its more precise. In terms of road harshness i was expecting this to increase but it just feels like i've got 40 psi in the front tyres.

I've just thrown it through a couple of corners in the local streets and it definately turns in better to, they have adjusted the camber slightly and they said that the tyres would wear 1000km earlier or so, which will improve handling anyway. I'm very happy and definately worth the dollars, total cost was AUD$380 including front and rear alignment..."

Mine are at the suspension shop waiting for me - they'll be fitted in a week. I'll take photos & let you know how I get on.

Yes, all GEN4 Legacys (Libertys) have the same LCA bush.

By the looks of it, you'll need to contact the U.S. distributor:

Glenn Dirkse

Global Performance Parts

4554 - 128th Street

Michigan 49423

Ph: 616 399 9025

Fax: 616 399 9174

Web: www.globalperformanceparts.com

E.Mail: glennd@globalperformanceparts.com

to determine where to source the new bushes. AFAIK, Fulcrum recommend a current wheel alignment reading to determine setback & caster. This is so they can ship the appropriate bush for your car.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived