LegacyGT.com

1999 Legacy: Sticky Clutch Pedal

jay-d

I took the car home today and on the way home I was listening to anything out of the ordinary that I would want the dealer to look at.

The first thing that I started to notice was a sticky clutch pedal. The clutch is amazing, it grabs really low but sometimes it doesn't come all the way up, it just stays half way right before you can feel pressure for the pressure plate. However, the clutch doesn't slip when its 'stuck' like this. I'm thinking it may require some grease on the clutch arm? This problem comes and goes, i'll be driving for a few km and then it will pop up and other times it just stays stuck.

The second thing I noticed was a noisy shifter.. it doesn't pop out of gear or its not hard going into gear but the shifter area vibrates and seems to rattle a bit.. but if I hold my hand on the shift knob, it goes away.. wondering if those metal shifter base plate washers will fix this problem?

I'm not so concerned about the rattle since it could be anything inside the shift boot, i haven't had a chance to take a look inside.. but that sticky clutch pedal is my main concern, thanks!

First check the clutch fluid level. If low, fix leak if needed refill and bleed. Also there is a slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch. It is located just behind the intake. Look to see if the fork that it pushes is loose when the pedal does not come up. The cylinder is about $75-$80 USD at the dealer and easy to replace. When installed bleed and drive.

Sweet.. thanks! This morning the pedal was almost stuck all the way to the floor and i just used my hand to pump it and it came loose and now comes all the way to the top. I drove to work and no problems, the fluid level is good. If it happens again I'll check that fork, thanks for your help :D

Archived