LegacyGT.com

Dialog with SOA

This relates to thread: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=2412[/url] My message to SOA via my.subaru.com "I've heard that SOA is giving out coupons to owners / potential buyers of new Legacy 2005's. One coupon is for free service for 3 years. The other is for a $25 Giftcard, neither of which I have seen anything about in my mailbox. I came into work late this mornging as I took my 2005 Legcay in to the dealer because I had noticed my power steering fluid was VERY low. Turns out the the pump was leaking and that it needs to be replaced. Today is my birthday, this was not the surprise I was looking for :=( The dealer is supposed to order the pump and call me when it comes in. They tell me it will take 2 hrs to install. I was wondering is this a common problem? Also according to the manual one should not mix different brands of fluids within the power steering assembly. My dealer told me this morning that they would add fluid to the system and that 'It should be fine to drive' in the meantime. They took me out to the garage to show me the fluid leaking onto the block from the pump. After seeing the leaking fluid, I saw the mechanic about to pour in more fluid and I said 'Hey what kind of fluid is that?' The mechanic tells me its Power steering fluid. I look at the bottle and its clearly marked as a bottle of 'Advanced Auto' Brand Power steering fluid. Upon my questioning him about it, the mechanic asks the service manager if its the right fluid and he says 'Yes.' When I return to the sitting area I see Subaru Genuine Power Steering/ATF fluid on the shelf. My question is why would the dealer be using advanced auto brand in the firstplace? And second, is it normal for dealers to do something the manual clearly says not to do ( to quote on page 11-41 of the maual it says ' When power steering fluid is being added...And NEVER use different brands together.')? Does subaru use advanced auto power steering fluid from the factory?"

SOA's reply to my message "Dear icehousewvu: I took the liberty of contacting our marketing group, and you should be in receipt of the link to take advantage of the test drive offer. We regret that you have experienced the need for a repair at this time.You can be assured that your Subaru dealer will be using Genuine Subaru power steering fluid in your vehicle. We are aware that the dealer is awaiting the replacement power steering pump. If you have any further questions or should you need additional assistance please contact me at Customer/Dealer Services at 1-800-SUBARU-3 (1-800-782-2783) and refer to Case #XXXX. This will expedite the handling of your call. Best wishes! Deloria Marshall"

Telephone Coversation with Doloria on 26-Aug-2004: Me: Hi Thanks for your help. SOA: Your welcome, sorry you are having trouble. Me: So the deal you got me its only the credit card for $25, correct? SOA: Yes unfortunately the maintenance deal was only for a select group of people and I was unable to get that for your, its something that I do not have access to. I'll check back into it though and let you know what happens. Me: Ok that would be great. SOA: Now as far as your dealer goes, I did call and speak with them they have ordered your pump. Me: Yes it has arrived and I have scheduled an appointment for next week to have it installed. SOA: Ok Good. Now I did talk with the Service Manager at your dealer Mr. John Doe, and he would neither confirm nor deny your allegation that they used "Adavanced Auto" Brand Power steering fluid in your car. He did assure me that they use ONLY Genuine Subaru Oils and fuids. Me: Sure uh huh Right. SOA: Let me know if you need anytihng else. Me: Ok sure, I'm sure we will be back in contact soon.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Me: You've got to be kidding me- you can't give me a 3 year maintenance coupon and I'm on my 2nd Subaru? I wonder what the better business bureau would say- a select group? Why am I being discriminated against? Them: Well, we did just have a [i]few[/i] more coupons printed sir- I'll see that you get one. Me: Thank you. May I have your name please?

I'm not sure that I understand this. You had a problem, and they are fixing it as quickly as they can, right? Is the problem that a sloppy service department was going to use different fluid, or something else. As far as the coupon goes, I'm sure that someone here has an extra. Mine is already gone, or I would have sent it to you. Kevin

Kevin, The problem is 2 fold 1) the fact that I'm actually having to have the pump replaced and 2) the fact that I have to take time away from work to go have this taken care of. Let me predicate this by stating perhaps others may not perceive this to be a troubling issue, and that's fine, to each his own. I however, do perceive these circumstances to be troubling. I would think given my trouble (I would hope this isnt a really common problem) that SOA would hand over the fee mainteance coupon. It would certainly make me feel better towards SOA regarding my investment their products. With regard to the fluid thing, I realize that thiis something that is likely out of SOA's control. However, I find it disturbing that they(SOA) seemed to think that the dealer would NEVER use anything else other than Genuine Subaru fluids (That is the impression that I got after talking with SOA rep on the phone). Maybe they thought I was hallucinating and somehow imagined that I had seen that Advanced Auto Power Steerfluid being poured into my car ;=) I do thank you kindly for the suggestion of checking into obtaining a coupon from another member.

I forgot to mention this on the other post you had, but there isn't that much difference between ATF (such as Dextron III as recommended for the Leg) and power steering specific fluid WHEN it comes to power steering. Generally shouldn't have problems with the mixing (but there may be exceptions based on the additive chemistry). Again, this is only true for power steering (which is relatively insensitive to viscometrics of the oil) and NOT for ATs.

JoeGT, Thanks for the info, Subaru ATF/PS Fluid is actually one in the same (SOA635003 - ATF/PS Fluid, 1 quart) its actually labeled as both. Had they used it I wouldnt have a problem but again it wasnt that they used PS Fluid vs ATF fluid, but rather they added the Advanced auto BRAND PS fluid to what I can only assume would be Subaru ATF/PS fluid from the factory already in my car. Which again, the manual explicitly states NEVER to mix different brands of PS fluids. Now the reasoning behind this is beyond me, I'm no petroleum engineer nor a chemist. However, I can see the fact that different additives might not play well together and therefore cause other problems. Another possibility is that perhaps this is a marketing ploy to urge buyers of new cars to only use (and therefore buy) genuine Subaru fluids. Either way I would prefer only to use one brand period. If this is a marketing ploy perhaps SOA needs to let there dealers in on the game.

icehousewvu, you are correct in that the additive chemistry between different brands (and even within the same brand but older chemistry) can cause some unexpected interactions. Plus, quality/performance of regular PS fluid can vary greatly! That is one reason why OEMs are starting to specify ATFs versus PS, since registered ATFs must be approved; Dextron (GM), Mercon (Ford), and ATF+(Chrysler). So, the OEM issuing the spec has some control over the chemistry (via performance specs), which somewhat minimizes risk of negative interaction (similar to API oil specifications) AND removes risk of low/worthless quality fluid.

Archived