LegacyGT.com

Best wax/polish

I just got a Silver Legacy Ltd 2.5i. Man I love that finish. I've heard though, that silver cars really need some protection to keep from oxidizing.

What's the best product to use to protect that finish ?

A friend told me the pros like to use polish instead of wax, due to the build up issues with wax.

Any experienced suggestions ?

Thanks

Polish isn't used for protection. It is use to remove scratches and other things on the paint. For protection you need to use either a wax or a synthetic sealant.

All cars need protection to keep from oxidizing. Actually, silver is one of the only colors you probably won't notice oxidation on for several years. Since silver doesn't reflect like darker colors it is harder to see when it is damage. You don't see the swirls and scratches and especially the oxidation. People say that black is high maintanance, but having owned a white car and a black car, I'd say that white was more work simply becuase you couldn't see the damage even when you knew it was there.

Check around the forum for more tips on what works for other people. You could also check out http://www.ocdetails.com if you are really in the mood for some educating. What you need to get out of your head is that there is any one 'best' product. What is 'best' for you is purely subjective. It varies from person to person and totally depends on what your are trying to achieve.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Fwellers ... Do a search for S-100 and Wolfgang.

This will then bring up several threads debating what products are best, but those are big favorites around here. Also see Zaino and (Maguires) NXT wax.

Wolfgang and Zaino are sealants rather than wax, but will arguably protect your paint better than wax and will last longer. S-100 is only available at Harley Davidson shops for some reason, but it's a great wax and priced right. NXT is also very popular and more widely available.

And finally, whatever you've heard about silver colored cars oxidizing is rubbish. Most of what you hear about paint in general does not apply to modern cars and mostly old wives tales dating back to the 50's and 60's.

Edit: Damn, not fast enough to beat OCDetails!

I have Silver too, and found Meguairs NXT to be excellent. Very very easy to use, long lasting shine and protection. Do a search for NXT as suggested above and you'll see some great info on it. It's available at most automotive stores and even Wally World. (walmart) If you do use it, it's recommended to leave it on the car for at least an hour, perhaps longer if possible prior to buffing it off.
- The Mortgage Man

Wow. I see there's no shortage of opinions on this. :icon_bigg .

Thanks for the input. I've always like Mcguires.

I went to sweetwater splash today to get my wife's car shined and talked to the guy about detaling.

I may bring it over there and have them put a sealent on it, before I do anything. Protect it some from all the acid rain around here. Then maybe every 90 days or so take it in for a rinse and shine.

I must be getting lazy in my old age. There's a lot of surface to rub on this little car. :lol: :lol:

Archived