LegacyGT.com

Are Subaru AWD's ok in an auto carwash?

I went through a touchless carwash recently. I get to the end of the line at the end of it, I have my foot off the brake and car in neutral and I feel it struggle. It final pushes out with a loud bang. I look at tires no marks.

I am guessing a differential releasing some pressure? Its a manual LGT base wagon.

Unsure what the issue is, sounds very RANDOM to say the least. Used touchless a few times in my MY01 2.5NA and it has had no hassles whatsoever. If you are really concerned, try and replicate it and get it back to the dealership ASAP. But sounds like something random, I wouldnt be too concerned.

Ada///M.

I'm also not sure what you might have encountered.... :(

Typically, the loud "bang" that you hear from pulling out of the wash's wheel chock(s) is just that - they're releasing.

But if you felt your vehicle truly "struggle," that might not be normal....

Still, if you cannot find visible damage, I would think that it's most likely just the mechanism releasing/rolling-over. Have you been to that wash in a 2WD vehicle of similar size/weight and whee/tire configuration?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

SpecBGT - :)

Don't worry about the scoop.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29161&highlight=water+intercooler

In the future, remember to use the search function, first! :) Otherwise, you risk being ridiculed by others! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I go to a local carwash almost every weekend. Its a soft-touch (terrycloth rags) type. I would never put her through a carwash with those old-fashioned bristlebrush scrubbers. I always pay close attention to the guys that drive it into the roller track and out to the towel drying area. Even though its only about 50 ft each way I've heard them revving the engine and slipping the clutch. I try to make eye-contact with the guy so he knows I'm watching closely.

The carwash has blue teflon-like protective covers on both sides of the wheel track. That helps prevent scratching the rims.

The only problem that I've seen was one time a guy was trying to pull my LGT out of the wheel track at the end of the wash line. But he was being impatient and pulled the rear wheel up to the next roller (about 3" tall). I saw him slipping the clutch and lifting the rear wheel up trying to get over the roller. I yelled out "hey dude...STOP!" He started doing it again and I ran right up to the window. He looked scared shitless. A few seconds later that roller went down into the return side and he slowly rolled the car out to the dry-off spot. Ever since that day I always make sure that I'm standing closeby at the end of the wash line.

Hmmm. I'm thinking the question is: if the front wheels are on some kind of carrier and not moving, while the rears are rolling, can that cause any diff problems? In the summer I hand wash, but in the winter I do use these drive thru washes a lot - just did this morning, in fact. I've never encountered any problems.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I go to a local carwash almost every weekend. Its a soft-touch (terrycloth rags) type. I would never put her through a carwash with those old-fashioned bristlebrush scrubbers. I always pay close attention to the guys that drive it into the roller track and out to the towel drying area. Even though its only about 50 ft each way I've heard them revving the engine and slipping the clutch. I try to make eye-contact with the guy so he knows I'm watching closely.

The carwash has blue teflon-like protective covers on both sides of the wheel track. That helps prevent scratching the rims.

The only problem that I've seen was one time a guy was trying to pull my LGT out of the wheel track at the end of the wash line. But he was being impatient and pulled the rear wheel up to the next roller (about 3" tall). I saw him slipping the clutch and lifting the rear wheel up trying to get over the roller. I yelled out "hey dude...STOP!" He started doing it again and I ran right up to the window. He looked scared shitless. A few seconds later that roller went down into the return side and he slowly rolled the car out to the dry-off spot. Ever since that day I always make sure that I'm standing closeby at the end of the wash line.

Just be careful of the car washes that "touch" the car. I have seen the cleaning cloths wrap around a crossbar and rip it right off! :eek: It was one of those car washes where you walk inside and watch your car do through. It wasn't on a Subaru, but ever since I only bring my cars to a touchless car wash that has arms that go around the car. The car wash shutdown after this happened and I never went back.

Nothing touches my car and nothing "pushes" the car through the wash. There are several deluxe car washes around here that are not touchless, but they won't allow cars with crossbars. I know why now.

-S

Archived