LegacyGT.com

industrial fallout

well i notice i had a bump in my clear coat on my front hood today, looking closely at it i noticed some orange spots near by ... i was like ... ohhh GREAT rail dust ... so i called Ming (auto beauty place, they do mirror finishing, some chemical that 'finishes' the paint and makes it really shiny, basically you dont have to wax your car ever (well they say 3 years). soo i call them and they say they can fix it and to call my dealer and tell them i talked to such and such and the guy from ming said it could be done by them actually under warranty ... OHH YES ... soo i call my dealer and tell them about it ... they were going to call me anyway and tell me my spoiler than i got was in, so im bringing the car in tuesday to repair a strach on the trunk lid (which im already nervous they arnt going to do it right) put the spoiler on and repair the rail dust dammage. fix my moonroof liner and fix the glove box as well.

well i was talking to a friend of mine that used to work at a dealer ship in a nearby town, he said all they do is remove the rust but not the metal, now ming told me that this industrial fallout (rail dust) its a process to repair and wants me to take it in to look at it ... he told me they have to repair the rail dust before they can mirror finish it ... wonderful.

(the car has been sitting on the lot for a year ... which is why we have the rail dust problem)

Everything mechanical with the car is veyr sound ... i lvoe the car, it drives like a charm ... i just wish i didnt have paint problems

idk if i want to try to convince the dealer to let ming do it ... i know they know more of what they are doing ... but if something goes wrong im afraid i cant hold them as much accountable as i could the dealer ... but im afraid the dealer isnt going to do anything but remove the rust itself ... sigh ... help me out on this one

I love my car ... basically.

basically you dont have to wax your car ever (well they say 3 years)

I've heard these claims before. As far back as 1989 when the Acura dealer tried to sell me a "Magical" clearcoat finish on my new Integra that eliminated the need for waxing. Dont be so quick to believe them. If mirror finishing is truly revolutionary then please do post the info here so we can become believers.

I am not trying to be an a$$, just want to warn you that there are countless aftermarket companies making pretty convincing claims. Hopefully OCDetails will chime in. I am not an expert, just a wary customer.

All you ever wanted to know about rail dust and IFO No charge. :)

I had an Integra for 5 years before I bought the Legacy. When I brought it to them after I noticed black dots on the back bumper they wanted to charge me $350 to remove them. I laughed so hard I peed all over the floor. I went home and took a piece of my $10 clay bar and fixed the problem in like 30 seconds.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

IFO removal is usually a two part process. They will either use a clay bar or an acid bath to remove the metal. Clay is usually good enough, but acid is better. It is typically a product that is only sold in industrial quanities, so most people don't even know about that option. I use it for mainly removing waterspots, but it works on IFO too. Anyway, clay will pull the particles out just as well.

After the particles are pulled out you need to use a paint cleaner to remove the stains that it left. They will either be orange/brown rust dots or little black dots. Sometimes they are just distortion in the color. You can see what I'm talking about a bit in this picture from my rental car last summer.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/Legacy%20nonGT/ifo.jpg

Any paint cleaner will get the stains off, but you need clay to get the particles out. You can't get them all with just one product. Clay isn't designed to remove paint stains. Just a little tip... :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

lol no it doesn't. I'd be surprised if this is covered under it too. IFO is just what happens if you have a car. It isn't a defect. Removing it is just part of proper car care. You can't avoid it, so it isn't something I would expect them to fix for free. It would be like taking your car in for warranty work because it got dirty in a snow storm. It happens...

OCDETAILS BLOG

They should have just cleaned it up before they delivered it to you. That is probably the reason they are offering to clean it up now. I still say you should just do it yourself. Believe it or not, but dealership detailers more times than not, cause more problems than they fix. They could scratch the hell out of you car and the fill the scratches with some oily glaze that hides the damage for a couple weeks. By the time you find out about it they usually say it isn't their fault because you didn't say anything when you picked it up.

However, if you are comfortable with that and you don't want to do it yourself, then take it back to them and have them fix it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived