LegacyGT.com

2001 Outback - rattle from front of car - tierods maybe?

Kuth678

Just the bumps in the road. No popping noises on turns, therefore not a CV joint problem. Its more of a clunking sound. If it is the anti roll bar or even the strut tower mounts, how would I go about fixing it?

The strut top mounts would be like changing the strut and the antiroll bar endlinks (I assume they're like the older models) should have visibly bad bushings if they're the cause. They should be an easy job. Just remove the bolts that hold them on and replace the part. The car seems rather new to have either problem, though - I never had those issues until 11 or 12 years. Steve

Upon acceleration? Is it more pronounced when cold? Is it a quiet ticking? Could be the valve lifters, which is very common and not a worrisome issue unless it's constant. What weight/type of oil do you use and do you change it often? Sometimes lighter oil can help the issue and infrequent oil changes can do the opposite. It's not a loud, somewhat slow knocking is it? Rod bearings are a possible, but unlikely failure and they would make a ticking verging on knocking sound. Steve

The ticking noise goes away once the engine has been run for about 10 minutes. The ticking is very much in tune with the RPMs on the engine, when they go up so does the ticking sound. I just got the car so I don't even know what oil is in it. I was tempted to change it and put some mobil synthetic in. If its the valve lifters and it won't cause any problem I won't worry about it then. I got it for my wife, and it came with 74,000 on it.

Sounds like lifters for sure. I'd try running some Sea Foam (NAPA and some Autozones carry it) in the oil for a few hundred miles before changing the oil. You minght also want to try 5W if you're using 10 for the new change and see if that makes the noise go away or at least reduce it. The only way to fix it is to replace them or submerge them in oil and pump them to get the air out. Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Update: I received a coupon from my local subaru dealer for a free 27 point inspection so I had them look at it. According to them, they found no problems with the car except a couple minor things. Some idiot before us put only 1 new tire on the car. And the rallting I was hearing is actually from the heat sheilds. They tightened those sheilds but now they're loose again. Anyone know how to keep those things tightened up? The ticking noise from the engine is piston slap. They said it wasn't a problem, and is very common in boxer engines.. As the enigine warms up it goes away.

Archived