LegacyGT.com

Tire Siping vs. Replacing Stock Rubber

brad21

A local news station did a story here a while back about siping tires, and if I recall right, they noticed an increase in braking distance and a decrease in handling. Again, if the tires were vastly improved by doing this, don't you think the manufacturers would do it to make their tire that much better than the competitor's?

[quote name='shiggins']A local news station did a story here a while back about siping tires, and if I recall right, they noticed an increase in braking distance and a decrease in handling. Again, if the tires were vastly improved by doing this, don't you think the manufacturers would do it to make their tire that much better than the competitor's?[/QUOTE] I wonder if it depends on the tires siped. I siped my RE-92a's and they definitely did better in the wet, handling, and braking. I pushed them quite hard on some mountain roads. Never got a chance to try them in the dry though because I flatted on the freeway a day later and shredded the tire. I did replace them with Proxes 4s- much much better tire all around! :D $50 to improve some mediocre tires to me was a good deal. It was worth a try since I was planning on replacing them anyway. tom

tom :)

Guest *Jedimaster*
What the shit? I know I posted in this thread. Anyway, instead of this siping, why not just get studs in the tires for the winter months?

Archived