LegacyGT.com

Which springs lower the least?

telluride_tj

tintnet, there are many things about New England I miss, but the weather is not one of them!

Maybe you should consider raising your LGT an inch or two for the winter!

tom :)

Odd winter here so far, though. Little snow (currently bare ground locally), and the warmest Jan. on record, I think.

Nonetheless, often the biggest snowstorms are often late season in Maine (March, April).

The amount of lowering I'll get with the Ions (~1.25" in front and ~1/2" rear with double spring seats) would most likely be of little consequence (I hope!).

Odd winter here so far, though. Little snow (currently bare ground locally), and the warmest Jan. on record, I think.

Nonetheless, often the biggest snowstorms are often late season in Maine (March, April).

The amount of lowering I'll get with the Ions (~1.25" in front and ~1/2" rear with double spring seats) would most likely be of little consequence (I hope!).

Yeah - I remember a completely unexpected 41" No'easter snowfall on April 7th (all between 12AM and 7AM). This was Downeast (Winter Harbor). I had just put the summer tires on the day before and driven into Ellsworth to pick up a new battery for my motorcycle. I left the car outside since it was so nice and couldn't even see it the next morning. My car at the time was a 76 Fiat 128 wagon, and the only way that you would even know that there was a car under all that snow was to look for the radio antenna which was just barely sticking out. :icon_surp

BOT - With that much drop in the front, you might be plowing a little too much snow when/if the weather doesn't cooperate. But, if you're running dedicated winter boots, you shouldn't have too much problem.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Anyone know if the fronts have a similar spring seat that you could double up on just like some people have done on the rear?? I imagine the geometry is a bit different, but I haven't looked for myself yet.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

H-techs... or S-techs? I have heard S-techs drop about 1.5" while the H-techs are only 1" drop....

The more I research..... the more confused I get.

H-Techs, put them on two cars......thought we were gonna have to run out and by some Rancho's for Larry's car. :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

One thing to note - LOWERING a car, by itself, doesn't affect strut life assuming the spring is the same rate (ie, a cut linear-rate spring). Of course, cutting springs is the wrong thing to do anyway, and properly lowering a car usually means a stiffer spring is needed to prevent hitting the bump stops.

The point is that a stiffer spring is what affects strut life. In other words, a same-length but stiffer spring will affect strut life as much as a shorter one of the same stiffness.

What's the engineering answer? :iam:

Simply put, I found this explanation to be quite simple:

If the spring is stiffer than stock, the springs could "overpower" the dampening forces of the stock shock. Shocks dampen the motion of the springs. If a vehicle has a stock spring rate of 225 lbs. and the owner upgrades to a spring that has a rate of 450 lbs. (severe example) this could mean that the strut or shock has to work twice as hard to dampen the spring.

This is why a stiffer spring on a stock strut will shorten its life. Simply put, it's not matched to handle the load of a stiffer spring. You'd be better off putting in a stiffer strut on a stock spring, though this won't give you much of a performance enhancement... but at least you won't damage anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived