LegacyGT.com

Colored Wax

SLegacy99

So I have several choices: Meguire's show car wax, some other Meguire's Wax (cant remember what that is right now), or Nu Finish. However, since my car is RED and red fades, I was wondering if a red wax would be a good choice. I had blue, didnt seem that great, but then my blue paint wasnt faded.

Colored wax is ONLY for pre early 90s cars before clearcoat became standard. Colored wax is not to be used on newer cars as all it does is mar the shine of your clearcoat.

OCD, feel free to correct me. :)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

A lot of waxes are different colors (yellow, blue, white, grey, etc) but that is only so you can see where it is when you apply it. Some of them will dry white so that you know when it is time to buff it off. The waxes that are multi colored for filling scratches is really not the best wax in the world. I’ve used the Turtle Wax version of that and it is really nasty wax. Basically it is just tinted fillers that hide scratches for about a week and then it comes out and the swirls and scratches come back. The better idea, instead of hiding swirls, is to just remove them. Get the right tools and products and go to work. Then evaluate your washing and drying process and make sure you aren’t causing most of the problem yourself.

Those tinted waxes really aren’t good for any type of long term solution. They merely mask the problem for a few days and then you are left with the same scratches when you are done. If gloss is your objective then you need to polish the paint properly and either use higher grade carnauba or synthetic sealants to get the shine. Besides, if the color match isn't exact then the car often comes out looking much worse than it did before. That's why I don't use them or recomend them. Like dave said... it really is something that is for older cars that don't have a clear coat.

edit: Oh, one other thing... red may fade, but so do all other colors. What you are likely seeing is just oxidation. If the paint isn't UV protected with a good waxing every 4 to 6 weeks, or a good sealant every 10-12 weeks, then your paint will oxidize. It isn't anything a good paint cleaner can't fix. Klasse All In One is my choice for oxidation removal on red. This page shows off some good oxidation removal on red. It isn't really that tough and it makes a huge huge difference. Sometimes your car can almost look repainted after you are done with this type of thing.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived