LegacyGT.com

How much to hold a car? (deposit)

Meltdown07

How much do dealers typically need to hold a car? I found the '05 LGT I wanted in the color combo I want, but I wont be able to finance until next week sometime.

Reason being is that I am a fresh college graduate, that just accepted a job offer, and need a new car. I will have my written offer in my hands next tuesday when I go to sign the paperwork. I plan on purchasing next week, but in the meantime I want to hold this car because its the exact combo I want. How much money down do I need to give a dealer to hold it for me? I dont have a ton of liquidity right now, but I'll have plenty of money very soon.

Any thoughts or experience from other forum users, or dealers out there?

Go Cardinals!

Okay well they wont hold it for any amount because they "have been burned before".

Anyway, I got an internet quote for a new 05 LGT Limited in the color combination i wanted for 25,040. The MSRP is $30,900. How does this sound?

This is my first car purchase, so forgive the newbie questions. How much do title and registration typically run the dealer. I'm in Illinois if that helps. I was approved for financing by my bank for $27k, and I just want to make sure I dont need more than that. I want no more than $27k OTD. Is that reasonable, what do you think?

Go Cardinals!

Welcome to the site.

As long as this is not one of the wind-damaged cars that the dealership bought from Subaru, a demo car with a lot of miles, or a used car that they're reselling, this sounds like a great deal.

If it's any of the above, then I'd think more in the $22K price range before tax, title, license. Not sure what the tax rate is in IL but add about 8-10% more for registration, title and fees to get it out the door. Just don't tell them that you're pre-approved for $27K or guess what, the car will eventually, somehow, magically, end up at $27K. And don't let them add on a lot of dealer profit stuff like undercoating, paint and interior "protectants", window serial number etching, etc.. That stuff adds up and is basically pure profit to the dealer.

Again welcome and good luck. Here's hoping you get your GT soon.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If I say throw in a wing spoiler and i'll buy OTD for 27k, is that a reasonable deal for both parties, or is that pushing it? Car is not wind damaged or anything, and is brand new. I'm not looking to get an incredible deal as much as I am to get this specific car due to the color combo.

Again the info is:

LGT Limited 2005

Dealer offer: 25,040

MSRP: 30,900

Also I am not sure how tax is figured. Where I will be living the tax is 6.5%, but in the country the car will be purchased its 7.5-8%. Thanks again for the advice

Go Cardinals!

Just ask what you need to put down as a deposit...and they should refund it when you buy the car anyway...my dealer just swipped my card through one of those old school carbon copy credit card things...I think it might have been $150...they just held that and never sent it in until I came back the next day to sign everything...

Just ask what you need to put down as a deposit...and they should refund it when you buy the car anyway...my dealer just swipped my card through one of those old school carbon copy credit card things...I think it might have been $150...they just held that and never sent it in until I came back the next day to sign everything...

I just filled out a loan application with the dealership, and told them I would be in Tue to buy, and they were cool with everything. So on tuesday I will be the owner of a LGT Limited.

Go Cardinals!

Check the incentives for March in the Central US region. Should be able to get the car for invoice minus incentives minus dealer holdback. And the tax on the car will be for the locale where you are registering it...not where you bought it so check this figure on the papers.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

We take checks or cash only, and we cash them immediately. $1,000 on a BMW, $500 on other cars. Most of the deposits we take are for ordered cars, and they are non refundable to protect us from getting stuck with a wierd build on a very expensive car. Cars in stock we can refund the deposit on, if things don't go well. All deposits are applied towards the price of the car, so it's is not like we charge extra to hold or order a car. I have heard of this type of behavior, and it makes me sick to think some consumers get stuck with it.

Archived