LegacyGT.com

newbie on board

just picked up my new gt black on black and had a few questions

should i upgrade to the perrin air filter?

i plan on changing my oil at 1000 miles is that good or overkill?

when do i switch to synthetic heard after 7500 miles to make sure the seals set true or myth?

thanks for the help

tim:iam:

perrin (or any aftermarket panel filter) - is a decent, cheap upgrade - however don't expect any real performance gains from it --- it's mostly a 'noise' mod. You'll be able to hear your turbo spool and bypass valve 'whoosh' noise better after it.

change the oil at 1k if it makes you feel better ( i did) -- however i also suggest reading the manual and doing whatever it says for break in and how long to wait for the first oil change.

wait for a while before changing to synth. I can't validate this claim, or disprove it as myth. But it costs nothing to wait a couple thousand miles and will help you sleep easier at night.

There is no need to wait for XXX number of miles before changing to synthetic oil. That 'setting the seals' line is an old myth. In fact, many cars come with a synthetic fill straight from the factory, including the M3, M5, Evo, and pretty much every Porsche.

Change to synthetic whenever you want to, or don't. It's your car and your call.

Performing a break-in oil change can be beneficial, as it removes the extra particulates (mostly metalics) generated during break-in. Oil filters have a bypass valve that opens when you are in the upper RPMs, so those particulates from break-in have many opportunities to run through your engine if you don't get rid of them.

The manual provides the bare minimum requirements to maintain your warranty. If you want to save a few bucks - follow the manual and do just enough to not void your warranty. However, the added expense of one early oil change and using synthetic is pretty minor compared to the price you paid for the car.

Archived