LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT Limited vs 2003 Cobb Stage 2 WRX

My car = 2005 Legacy GT Limited, MT, stock :) Friends WRX = 2003 WRX, MT, Cobb Stage 2 Turbox XS Uppipe, Turbo XS Stealthback with one highflow cat, prodrive axel back, Cobb Stage 2 Accessport. Prodrive P1 wheels with Kumho MX tires, KYB Adjustable Struts and HR springs. And my old 22B wing from my WRX :) We decided to test out the cars some today on a long empty stretch of road last night. Just did a couple pulls from a roll in 2nd and 3rd gear. 1st Run - We were in 3rd gear, he honked 3 times then we went. We were dead even for about 2 seconds, then he slowwwwly walked about 1/2 car before shutting down. Still slowly pulling ahead by the time we shut down. 2nd Run - In 2nd gear, I honked 3times. Exact same results as above. Just walked about 1/2 car, ended in 3rd gear somewhere, don't know the mph. He was slowly pulling ahead. If we did 4th or 5th gear pulls I think I would have had a slight advantage with the 2.5l engine and probably would be ahead enough to hold him off for awhile. I was pretty amazed how well my stock legacy held up with a Cobb Stage 2 car, my old WRX was a Cobb Stage 2 and that thing is sweet. I would probably place the Legacy GT about the same power level as a Cobb Stage 1.5. I think with maybe just a Uppipe and/or Downpipe I could easily keep up with a Cobb Stage 2 WRX. This car should easily be able to run low 14's maybe even high 13's on a good day with a good driver in the 1/4 mile, and probably run 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. Thats just my opinion though after comparing this car to my friends STI and Stage 2 WRX. The one thing I do notice is, you don't feel the speed in the Legacy like you do in the WRX or STI. Those cars just feel faster when you ride in them, probably because they all have stiffer suspensions and louder exhausts :) But the legacy keeps up damn well, and is super smooth, you just don't feel like your going that fast.

My previous WRX wagon was also Cobb Stage 2 plus STi suspension. My impressions are similar. The GT is significantly quicker than a stock WRX and the power is much more accessible due to the GT's torque. A stage 2 WRX is somewhat quicker than a stock GT. This is all seat of the pants impressions since I don't race and didn't do any acceleration measurements. I should have since it would be quite easy...say 2nd gear from 10 mph to 60 mph or similar measurement. Tom

I was going 15mph over when he got me going the opposite direction on a mountain pass. The officer was cool. He said he understood that I wanted to "test" the new car out, but keep the speed down a bit. He made up his mind that he wasn't going to give me a ticket unless I had something on my record. This car sure feels deceptive when you are crusing. Be Careful!

Guest *Jedimaster*
<-------former owner of a COBB Stage 2 WRX wagon. I think my new one would be damn close to the old one. Can't wait to see what COBB pulls off when they do their ECU magic. Stage 1 for a while, then on to Stage 2.

Archived