LegacyGT.com

the 2005 sedan's "longness"

[quote name='mmanus88']i'm sur emost poeple notice that the legacy's long body is made more apparent with the nose being so long itself. if one desires to lessen the effect of the legacy's length, would a body kit do the trick?[/quote] JDM front and rear bumpers will shorten overall length.

Yeah, if you look at JDM WRX bumper beams vs USDM ones their is a huge difference. I think they are their for the 5mph impacts. I really do like the flat and short look of the JDM bumpers, I think the USDM ones really are to long and pointy looking, so maybe one day I will swap them.

I don't think the original poster is trying to actually make the car shorter, he just wants it to *look* shorter/wider. I think to that end, a slight lowering of the ride height combined with wider wheels and possibly wheel spacers to get the wheels out a bit more in the wheel wells would go far in making the car not look as "long". -Nick

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Deer Killer']you will need new bumper beams.[/quote] I wonder if they're "required" to make the bumper covers fit....[/quote] YES, they are massive. I looked.[/quote] So the JDM bumper covers won't fit without the JDM beams, or is this just speculation?

[quote name='Deer Killer']The bumper beam sticks out beyond where the jdm bumper ends, period. Go look under the car, you don't need to take anything off to see it.[/quote] Maybe you misunderstood the question. I'm not suggesting using the USDM bumper beams, rather using NO bumper beams. Would this work, or do the bumper covers hold the cover on?

you guys can continue your discussion on "bumper beams" (what are those anyways?) i think i got my question answered. when i get the GT, i only planned on doing 6 things to it right off the bat, and not much afterwards: new rims, 18" (17 if i feel 18 is excessive) new tires (perellie or toyo all seasons) Body kit (for the lowering effect) 3rd Party Navigation system i will pay about 1500 shipped New Sound System (i wish suburu just offered a premium sound system option :() HID's which i can get for free (rated at 8k kelvins) and PIAA foglights, which i can also get for free Sirius satellite radio, which i can get for only $4 a month because a family member already has it when i price the car out at subaru.com it comes out to 30,800. i'm sur ei'll have no problem pushing that back to MSRP with a bit of haggling. after i'm done modding the car and what not i will have entered the low-mid thirties. it will be well worth it

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Deer Killer']The bumper beam sticks out beyond where the jdm bumper ends, period. Go look under the car, you don't need to take anything off to see it.[/quote] Maybe you misunderstood the question. I'm not suggesting using the USDM bumper beams, rather using NO bumper beams. Would this work, or do the bumper covers hold the cover on?[/quote] :o You NEED bumper beams. That IS your bumper, and you'd be in a world of hurt if you had even a minor hit without that thing on there. As for what to make it look shorter, a front dam that does not taper back towards the wheels as much will do the trick though you will scrape on everything because the approach angle would be extremely limited.

Other than USDM safety rules and regs, there shouldnt be any real reason why the USDM & JDM models differ in lenght. Im sure all accidents regardless where they are in the world are the same, Im sure it doesnt have anything to do the air density, or more/less gravitational pull, then again who knows. Adam.

[quote name='mmanus88']Body kit (for the lowering effect)[/quote] A body kit isn't going to make the car look lower, because the wheel gaps will still be the same. Lowering the static ride height by an inch or so will do more for the car visually than a body kit, and probably be a lot less expensive too. All you need are new springs and shocks. -Nick

[quote name='PPower'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Deer Killer']The bumper beam sticks out beyond where the jdm bumper ends, period. Go look under the car, you don't need to take anything off to see it.[/quote] Maybe you misunderstood the question. I'm not suggesting using the USDM bumper beams, rather using NO bumper beams. Would this work, or do the bumper covers hold the cover on?[/quote] :o You NEED bumper beams. That IS your bumper, and you'd be in a world of hurt if you had even a minor hit without that thing on there. As for what to make it look shorter, a front dam that does not taper back towards the wheels as much will do the trick though you will scrape on everything because the approach angle would be extremely limited.[/quote] Saftey scmaftey. :P Weight savings! Seriously though, I'd consider hacking up the stock BB if it weren't too much bigger..

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='j0b0sapi3n']does changing the bumpber beam significantly lower the safety of the car?[/quote] not really.[/quote] It does, actually. With the bumper beam, those dinky little fender-benders become significantly more damaging if it's your engine taking the impact instead of the bumper beam. The bumper beam is part of the front energy-absorbing system. If you crash, a fundamental part is missing, which means that the plastic bumper, which has about zero resistance to any real force, collapses. After that, the first thing that the force impacts is the engine. In the absence of the bumper beam, the force absorbing equation is all askew. Kevin

Beyond the safety concerns (check out the thread with the nasty front end damage), I would expect that your insurance company would refuse to cover any collision damage if you had modified the bumper beams. They may not be able to determine that you have made a change if your front end is seriously damaged but then again they do this for a living. For us family types, the question gets more serious when you start considering possible impacts on death and disability payments. Just a thought. Tom

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='j0b0sapi3n']does changing the bumpber beam significantly lower the safety of the car?[/quote] not really.[/quote] It does, actually. With the bumper beam, those dinky little fender-benders become significantly more damaging if it's your engine taking the impact instead of the bumper beam. The bumper beam is part of the front energy-absorbing system. If you crash, a fundamental part is missing, which means that the plastic bumper, which has about zero resistance to any real force, collapses. After that, the first thing that the force impacts is the engine. In the absence of the bumper beam, the force absorbing equation is all askew. Kevin[/quote] The bumper beam is good for a 5mph impact...so I don't know what good it does me...

Archived