LegacyGT.com

Block heater in cold climates; only a few days left!

Only 3 more days until I pick up my 2.5GT Ltd Sedan in Regal Blue :lol: I'm wondering about the block heater they're making me buy at the dealership though - since I'm moving to Edmonton, I'm fairly unfamiliar with this kind of thing. Can any of you guys let me know exactly how a block heater works and how to use it when the time comes? Much appreciated! Other than that, I'm already thinking of mods for the audio system - planning on Focal speakers, an Audison amp, and JL sub!

Basically you just plug it in and it warms up your engine. In really cold climates I guess some people leave them in all night to make sure nothing freezes, or just put it on a timer for a while before you go to work... I don't live where the weather is _that_ cold, but it would be nice to have a warm engine when I get to it without idling the engine for a long time.. It would be good to know how warm it gets from someone who has had one as well....

Starting my Legacy in the mornings shouldn't be too much of a problem - I live in an apartment with an underground parking lot that's got a automated opener so the cars in the lot stay toasty and warm in the dead of winter. I'm thinking that the block heater would be more necessary after a day of classes when I go to law school and have to leave my car in the lot! How long do I usually have to leave it plugged in for? And is a block heater attached to the engine or do I have to pull it out of the trunk, place it on the engine, and plug it in? Sorry about all the questions; I'm just a dunce when it comes to this!

Yeah that does seem kind of strange, I mean I'm assuming that Rally Subaru is including a block heater because of the harsh conditions of parking outdoors in Edmonton in the fall and winter. It *seems* to me that it would heat up a cold engine, but maybe I'm mistaken? Either way, I gather that there's an extension cord under the hood that unwraps from the engine block to plug in the block heater then? Or would I plug in a separate cord when I want to use it?

[quote name='Lexus_to_Subie']Yeah that does seem kind of strange, I mean I'm assuming that Rally Subaru is including a block heater because of the harsh conditions of parking outdoors in Edmonton in the fall and winter. It *seems* to me that it would heat up a cold engine, but maybe I'm mistaken? Either way, I gather that there's an extension cord under the hood that unwraps from the engine block to plug in the block heater then? Or would I plug in a separate cord when I want to use it?[/quote] Where the hell are you moving from? :o There are few places in Canada that wouldn't use a block heater in winter, but you'll probably never use it in the fall. I'm not sure what the set-up in the Suby is yet, but it's usually 1 of 2 types. As has been said above, an element type (think old BBQ starter) that sits in the block and heats either the oil or the coolant, dependent on the type. I expect the Suby one heats the oil in the pan and lower part of the block. If you're paying for the electricity, usually a couple of hours is sufficient and if you had a timer, you would be perfect with about 4 hours. It doesn't heat the engine per se, but after leaving it plugged in, it'll keep the engine bay warm enough to melt any snow on it. If you're going to U of A, most of the parking lots have plug-ins for heaters, so you may as well just plug in your car the whole time you're in class. Oh, and you will need to buy an extension cord as the plug usually only extends to the front grill or wherever the exit slot is. Welcome to Alberta! 8)

[quote name='Ninjapimp'][quote name='Lexus_to_Subie']Yeah that does seem kind of strange, I mean I'm assuming that Rally Subaru is including a block heater because of the harsh conditions of parking outdoors in Edmonton in the fall and winter. It *seems* to me that it would heat up a cold engine, but maybe I'm mistaken? Either way, I gather that there's an extension cord under the hood that unwraps from the engine block to plug in the block heater then? Or would I plug in a separate cord when I want to use it?[/quote] Where the hell are you moving from? :o There are few places in Canada that wouldn't use a block heater in winter, but you'll probably never use it in the fall. I'm not sure what the set-up in the Suby is yet, but it's usually 1 of 2 types. As has been said above, an element type (think old BBQ starter) that sits in the block and heats either the oil or the coolant, dependent on the type. I expect the Suby one heats the oil in the pan and lower part of the block. If you're paying for the electricity, usually a couple of hours is sufficient and if you had a timer, you would be perfect with about 4 hours. It doesn't heat the engine per se, but after leaving it plugged in, it'll keep the engine bay warm enough to melt any snow on it. If you're going to U of A, most of the parking lots have plug-ins for heaters, so you may as well just plug in your car the whole time you're in class. Oh, and you will need to buy an extension cord as the plug usually only extends to the front grill or wherever the exit slot is. Welcome to Alberta! 8)[/quote] Thanks for the heads-up! I'm moving from Vancouver, which has the mildest winters in the whole dang country and where it's a rarity to see sub-zero degree celsius temperatures :P I'm not parking in one of the U of A spots actually, but rather I have a monthly Impark pass for a lot right on campus (same price in the end!). I don't know if they'll have plugs in the lot, but I will pick up an extension cord for sure. I live pretty close to campus though, like about a 5 minute drive. I doubt I'd need to charge the car for 4 hours just to make it back? Either way, I'll figure it out! Thanks for the help, and hopefully I'll have to minimize the usage of the block heater anyways lol

[quote name='Ninjapimp'][quote name='Lexus_to_Subie']Yeah that does seem kind of strange, I mean I'm assuming that Rally Subaru is including a block heater because of the harsh conditions of parking outdoors in Edmonton in the fall and winter. It *seems* to me that it would heat up a cold engine, but maybe I'm mistaken? Either way, I gather that there's an extension cord under the hood that unwraps from the engine block to plug in the block heater then? Or would I plug in a separate cord when I want to use it?[/quote] Where the hell are you moving from? :o There are few places in Canada that wouldn't use a block heater in winter, but you'll probably never use it in the fall. I'm not sure what the set-up in the Suby is yet, but it's usually 1 of 2 types. As has been said above, an element type (think old BBQ starter) that sits in the block and heats either the oil or the coolant, dependent on the type. I expect the Suby one heats the oil in the pan and lower part of the block. If you're paying for the electricity, usually a couple of hours is sufficient and if you had a timer, you would be perfect with about 4 hours. It doesn't heat the engine per se, but after leaving it plugged in, it'll keep the engine bay warm enough to melt any snow on it. If you're going to U of A, most of the parking lots have plug-ins for heaters, so you may as well just plug in your car the whole time you're in class. Oh, and you will need to buy an extension cord as the plug usually only extends to the front grill or wherever the exit slot is. Welcome to Alberta! 8)[/quote] Thanks for the heads-up! I'm moving from Vancouver, which has the mildest winters in the whole dang country and where it's a rarity to see sub-zero degree celsius temperatures :P I'm not parking in one of the U of A spots actually, but rather I have a monthly Impark pass for a lot right on campus (same price in the end!). I don't know if they'll have plugs in the lot, but I will pick up an extension cord for sure. I live pretty close to campus though, like about a 5 minute drive. I doubt I'd need to charge the car for 4 hours just to make it back? Either way, I'll figure it out! Thanks for the help, and hopefully I'll have to minimize the usage of the block heater anyways lol

[quote name='Lexus_to_Subie']I live pretty close to campus though, like about a 5 minute drive. I doubt I'd need to charge the car for 4 hours just to make it back? Either way, I'll figure it out! Thanks for the help, and hopefully I'll have to minimize the usage of the block heater anyways lol[/quote] Vancouver...that makes sense. Just as a point of fact you never [color=red][b]have to[/b][/color] use the block heater (especially in a new car), but it makes the car a little less grumpy when you try to turn it over if it's -30 out. Normally, you'll only use it if you leave it outside overnight or all day and it's VERY cold out. I would personally only advocate its use when it's below -25 out. If it's -18 to -25, then it's sort of your choice and anything warmer than that, I wouldn't bother. PS. U of A sucks. (ok, they don't really suck, but as a U of C alumnus, they're my sworn enemy :wink: )

Im not sure where edmonton is but unless you live in northern canada or alaska, then the dealer is just robbing of you money. I live in Jersey and we get some bad winters, and a block heater is absolutely not needed. If I were you i'd tell the dealer you dont want it and rather spend the $30 towards other accessories.

[quote name='KayGT']Im not sure where edmonton is but unless you live in northern canada or alaska, then the dealer is just robbing of you money. I live in Jersey and we get some bad winters, and a block heater is absolutely not needed. If I were you i'd tell the dealer you dont want it and rather spend the $30 towards other accessories.[/quote] Edmonton latitude: 53 degrees New Jersey: 38 degrees That's about 1000 miles further north than you. Believe me, you can't buy a car without a block heater in the Canadian prairies and you wouldn't want to.

Archived