LegacyGT.com

Exhaust leak discovered

MarcusDubya77

So I have been hearing a putter from under the car for the longest..today while I was running the car I stuck my hand near my shorty DP, actually on the Exhaust I had made...and sure as shit I could feel air coming from the welds mear the flange....DAMMIT!!!!! Now I know why I might be having a loss of power!!!!!!!!!:(

Bummer! Have you considered exhaust tape as a temporary fix to your problem? And wouldn't a loss of pressure in the exhaust actualy create a boost in HP because of less resistance?

The only reason (I know of) that leak could be viewed as bad would be the noise, and the ever so slim chance that it could suck cold air into the exhaust when you shut the engine off. (I know this is an issue with non-turbo engines as cold air can cause damage to valves, is it a concern on turbo engines?)

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

^ I would think so, too....

Wouldn't a DP leak actually be "better" - despite sounding perhaps horribly ghetto?

Wouldn't such a leak pretty much be equivalent to an exhaust cut-out?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Please explain....

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I truly don't understand. :)

If the leak is post-turbo, why is that bad?

Causes problems with scavenging?

If so, wouldn't an exhaust cut-out cause the same problems?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

OK, found something on his other thread, where he cited a potential UP leak:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=483811#post483811

Both edmundu's and Deer Killer's posts - 3 and 5, respectively.

So, now I understand that a post-turbo leak could cause boost creep/spike (which would it be? both?) - but again, would this not mean that he would not see any performance decreases?

And again, how is an exhaust cut-out different from this?

Thanks. :)

^ Please explain....

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I truly don't understand. :)

If the leak is post-turbo, why is that bad?

Causes problems with scavenging?

If so, wouldn't an exhaust cut-out cause the same problems?

Turbo cars don't rely on the scavenging effect so it would be better, just to reaffirm.

^ Ah! Right....

OK, so let's see if I have this straight - scavenging would occur on the engine/manifold side of the turbo - not the

exhaust side.....

So, does this mean indeed that such a down-pipe leak would be akin to a cut-out?

But then again, what would happen with the boost creep/spike?

Deer Killer mentioned that our ECU would not be able to "remove" boost, to compensate, but would a difference in some other engine monitoring parameter cause subsequent decrease in performance in order to try to rein-in the over-boost situation?

is there a way to know the difference between boost spike and regualr quick spooling w/o some sort of boost gauge?? What actually defines boost creep/spike..I have pegged 17.4 STGII on my AP and the delay caused jump from 14.1 to 17.4...Would this be creep/spike or simply the delay in the AP taking a reading??

Archived