LegacyGT.com

Twin Turbo action courtesy of BMW

Well considering that we know a 2.5 liter motor can make 300HP with turbocharging, isn't it kind of lame that our cars only make 250HP? I guess you are right, the new BMW will be so slow, I'll bet you can go to the track and destroy it in the quarter mile with your stock Legacy GT.:lol:

Are you saying 300 HP and 300# from 3 liters with twin turbos is impressive? And im sure it will only cost about $45,000+. Sounds like a nice fat tourque spread and likely will be fast but for all the technology I not impressed. Hell a 3.5 liter N/A Rav4 will have 268HP.

What is impressive about the BMW power unit is the flexibility of the power delivery and torque curve compared to other engines in it's class. Having 295lb-ft of torque available so early and sticking around for so long in the power band is not something many engines can lay claim to. At least not in the 3 liter or 3.5 liter class.

For comparisson the turbo lag of the 2.5 liter unit in the Legacy is pretty noticeable to me, and the car does not seem to breath very well above 5000 RPM's. Our turbo is of medium size for the displacement of the engine. We get a strong surge of power at about 3000 RPM's it's okay below that speed, but nothing special. In my car any engine speed above 5500 RPM's is almost pointless since the turbo is a restriction at that point since it is too small.

The BMW engine apparently does not suffer those problems, they get nice quick spool from the small turbo, and the big one comes on line at medium speeds and both produce boost. At higher speeds the larger turbo takes over and bypasses the smaller more restrictive turbo. The power level and power delivery are more similar to a 4.0-4.3 liter V8 from other manufacturers. That is impressive to me, we may disagree, but the engineering effort to make the car behave like a really big displacement motor all the time at nearly any engine speed is pretty cool.

Also keep in mind that fuel consumption is supposedly not much different than the naturally aspirated units, which again is not something many other turbocharged cars can claim over the NA version of that motor. I know alot of people are worried about the direct injection being harder to modify and tune for, but guys like Steve Dinan will end up having a field day with this car. The potential power should be huge, and the stock motor will be a real sweetheart for about 95% of the people who drive it.

Archived