LegacyGT.com

Legacy Build Quality Question

Hi all, I posted this in the prepurchase forum but wasn't getting much response, so I'm posting here again. Sorry for the repost. I'm a potential buyer of a 2.5 GT limited sedan. Having never owned a subaru before, I'm wondering what the current owners have to say about their legacy's build quality. I found out that the car's engine and transmissions are imported from Japan and the car itself is assembled in a plant in Indiana. Does anybody know much about this plant and the quality of the cars it produces? Are other US market Subaru's produced here like the legacy? Are other components built in Japan or just the drive train? For the current owners, now that some of you have logged enough miles on it, are there any abnormal noises or rattles in your car yet? I've read many reports of rattles in the new Acura TSX, I'm surprised of this given that the cars are made in Japan! Given that the legacy is brand new, I wonder if there are any rattle problems with this one. Any comments are welcome. Thanks !

I've had overall a fairly good experience with the car, one rattle, SOA already knew about it and knew what to fix, just some electrical connectors, easy fix since they knew what to look for. Other than that, not much of an issue. This is my family's 5th Subaru. We keep coming back and rarely look elsewhere for our daily drivers if that says something.

I think the build quality is pretty good. The car does feel solid, and most of the interior bits do look/feel high quality, but I've had several annoyances so far: 1. Passenger door panel pull handle is loose-dealer has to replace ENTIRE panel (sucks for them-all I wanted was for them to fix the handle to stop a rattle) 2. Glove box misaligned-I took it in to get fixed, and it looks better, but not as it should. 3. Shifter boot (manual)-that darn thing does nothing but squeak any time I go over a bump in certain gears. I mentioned to dealer (I knew they wouldn't fix it)-They said it'll "work itself out". 3000 miles later-no better 4. Radio/shifter right hand trim piece-rattles. I'll talk to dealer about that one when I'm there for the door panel. It might sound like I hate the car from the above, but far from it. I LOVE my 2.5i, but I just wish everything was perfect with it. It's understandable as it's a brand new model. As long as Subaru is cool fixing this stuff, I'm okay with these few problems. Hope this helps.

Archived