LegacyGT.com

What to do with my 2 year old audio equipment?

bwalton

I own a 2005 OB-XT and would like to utilize my 5 channel Alpine amp, (4) 6 ½” Infinity component speakers and my Infinity 10” sub-woofer I have laying around my garage. My Alpine H/U and 6-disc changer will have to stay shelved unless I chop-up my in dash storage compartment. Has anybody used LOC off the factory H/U with any success? On my previous car, (a 03 WRX wagon) I ran the speaker wires from the factory H/U to a 5-channel Alpine amp with speaker inputs, which drove the Infinity speakers listed above and that setup sounded like crap. The factory H/U’s EQ settings were not compatible with the Infinity speakers. Would a good LOC help this EQ problem or am I stuck with a product like Jl’s clean sweep?

I'm using a Navone 4 Channel LOC off of my factory radio. Navone gets pretty high marks in reviews and on sound forums. I find the LOC to be pretty good, but there is some line noise at low volumes. It's nowhere near the quality of a direct connection to a head unit, but it's liveable.

Another OBXT here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15580&highlight=updated

If you can afford it, shell out about another $320 for a JL Cleansweep. This will fix the factory deck's EQ curve and you'll be set. You really can't go wrong with the CS, it does what it's supposed to do very well. Plus, should you decide to trade in your Outback for something newer, you could remove the CS and migrate it to another vehicle later on. On top of all the functionality it provides for OEM integration, you get the added benefit of an Aux-in port to hook up whatever other component you want.

A LOC will not fix your EQ curve problem. The only way to fix the EQ curve without a CS would be to feed the speaker outputs to a 32 band equalizer. Then, using sound monitoring equipment, you could make adjustments to each band so that you were back to a flat EQ curve that could be sent to your amplifiers. This still doesn't take into account that when you adjust the volume on the deck your EQ will be out of whack again; this problem is fixed with the CS because it has its own master volume control that is linear throughout the volume range.

Archived