LegacyGT.com

OC/Calif Ride & Drive Was Great

MtnSub

First, thanks to the person that posted sign-up info months ago. A great experience with my sixteen yr old son that opened his eyes to “real” driving skills. Event: You arrive at the event to the smell of rubber, screech of tires and lots of engine revving. Great pro drivers, they did not hold you back, but pushed you and coached. We got two hot laps and I now see how far from the cars/tires limits I drive. We had a guy in our car that races autoX and now races (4 years) go-karts and pro drivers were very complimentary about his smooth style, but the pros drove on a different level.(He was a mature guy and maybe was holding back) Pre-drive skills talk was good, practical, humorous. More drive time than I thought and harder thrashing of cars than I expected. Pros and skilled participants were drifting and not just in sand pit. Cars Comparo: I am going to buy a Leg GT for reasons previously posted, but I must say the BMW still has the most solid feel and best balance, even sans AWD. (I have owned a BMW3 Sedan and AWD BMW3 wagon) The BMW had the least power (325i), but used it so well and felt so responsive. Volvo was not in same league handling or response with BMW/Leg GT. Leg GT really feels strong when boost hits, but my limited driving skills did cause me to feel turbo lag under hard braking and power turn exits. The Leg GT was definitely in same performance league as BMW. BMW interior materials were better than Leg GT, BUT I liked Leg GT interior design and front seats better. BMW is classic, but a little dated. BMW interior room less than I want this time around. Driving Skills vs. Leg GT Potential: It was amazing what the pro driver and autoX/kart racer had to do to go beyond the cars limits. With the exception of a screw-up of cars balance, I will need hours of closed course seat time/training to operate near the limits of the Leg GT. Add the MT and this is one very fun package. Many on this site are autoX racers with track skills and maybe that is why so much talk about more power, stiffer suspension, but I cannot imagine driving beyond limits of Leg GT with great tires. Leg felt very good thru slalom course and felt less tail happy than the BMW for me and the pros. I had no idea how hard you could push a stock Leg GT/BMW.

Glad you had fun! I had fun as well. I brought my dad and we are both very inexperienced drivers and improved a lot! Also, my dad loved the Subaru the best so yay! He did however comment on the brakes being too sensitive. This is interesting because he drives a '95 Mercedes S320 and if you've ever driven one, you'd know the brakes are SO strong (so they could stop the boat!). On a random note, the Volvo's sedan rear legroom is really small!
-ben

[quote name='MtnSub'] Driving Skills vs. Leg GT Potential: It was amazing what the pro driver and autoX/kart racer had to do to go beyond the cars limits. With the exception of a screw-up of cars balance, I will need hours of closed course seat time/training to operate near the limits of the Leg GT. Add the MT and this is one very fun package. Many on this site are autoX racers with track skills and maybe that is why so much talk about more power, stiffer suspension, but I cannot imagine driving beyond limits of Leg GT with great tires. Leg felt very good thru slalom course and felt less tail happy than the BMW for me and the pros. I had no idea how hard you could push a stock Leg GT/BMW.[/quote] I have been saying for some time that the GT is better that most of the people who own them, including me. Thanks for noticing that very thing. Paul Hansen has been saying similar things about the lap times that a good driver can wring out of a stock car. They really do respond to a good pilot. I can't wait to have a friend of mine who is really good (4 of 5 wins in his SCCA class last year...races an M3 Lightweight...Track Time instructor, etc.) has to say about the car now that it's broken in. Kevin

Archived