LegacyGT.com

MP3 player connection to legacy using REVODIGITAL

rapiddescent

I've read the various tales of dispair and success connecting an MP3 player to the legacy.

here's how I did it using a revodigital m-link device to connect my rio karma:

shopping list:

a) revodigital m-link from halfords 30 quid

b) maplins: JK15 photo socket twin 52p

c) maplins: L05BA 1.5m phono leads (red & white twin) 3.49

d) 4.2mm HSS jobber drill bit

e) M5 x 0.8 Second tap (as in tap & die, not water!)

f) a couple of M5 12mm bolts

before you start:

it is worth covering the edges of the facia with electrical tape to save any scratches.

REMOVING EVERYTHING

1: removing the facia is hard work. I have a 2006 5 speed manual (UK) Legacy RE. The best way is to tuck your fingers under the edge of the gear stick plastic cover section and pull up in the centre rear. It will clip open and the tongue will slip out from under the ICE.

2: disconnect the white connector behind the ashtray and unscrew the top of the gear knob anti-clockwise until it comes loose. you may now take the whole centre panel off.

3: the silver side strips of facia were a pain in the arse for me because one of the screws at the base was on so tight I had to pop out the little screw back plate underneath rather than unscrew it. The facia has three little clips holding it on. Whatever you do, don't try and prise off the top of the side strips before undoing the screw underneath the gear stick plate. I did this and arsed up.

There are loads of screws holding in the radio/ICE. Undo all of them except the top left and right screws that don't actually hold the radio in.

4: remove the felt bottom on the center arm rest storage box next to the 12V supply, there are two 10mm bolts. undo both of them with a socket wrench. there are two screws just under the gear stick area that holt the centre stowage in as well. you will be able to lift the whole center consol up a bit.

5: I drilled 4 goles in the base of the stowage area under the arm rest - two to fit the R (red) and L (white) connector sockets through from underneath and two 4.2 holes to bolt the plate on from underneath. I tapped the two smaller holes so the M5 bolts will wind in and hold everything tight. I ran the red and white male connectors all the way under the console, gear stick and to the ashtray area.

NOTE: there are two types of black screw used. one has a stub end, the other is slightly fatter and has a sharp end. Stub end for radio, sharp end for facia.

SORTING OUT THE RADIO

6: subaru (god bless them) use a different standard antenna plug to the rest of the world. I decided to fix this and use the normal type. So I disconnected the grey antennal plug and cut off the grey plug from the radio about 4 inches in.

you should make four things:

1. [radio]--------<standard antenna male>

2. <standard female>-------connectes to------[the revo m-link]

3. <revo m-link>----------also has a-----------<standard male plug>

4. <female standard antenna>---------------[the cut off bit with plug]

I soldered everything together and made sure the shielding wasn't too messed up. obiously all we are doing is inserting an FM loop into the space between the radio and its subaru plug.

POWER TO THE REVO

7: I took power from the cigarette lighter by soldering on wires onto the connectors on the lighter attachment. I also put a standard wire connector plug inbetween the revodigital m-link and the cigarette lighter so I can remove one or the other in the future without a spagetti mess.

8: I tucked the revodigital onto the passenger side into the insulation foam so it doesn't rattle

CONNECTING IT ALL UP:

9: my rio karma has a wee twin photo to my new sockets that are in the base of the armrest stowage.

10: the new sockets are connected to a long wire that goes under neath the centre stowage and underneath the gear stick to the revodigital that is tucked in the passenger side next to the ashtray. (left side in the UK)

11: the revo has two power connections to the cigarette lighter through a plastic connector (I was thinking of putting this via a switch but couldn't be bothered.

12: the revo also has a male and female standard iso antennal leads.

13: one connects to the antenna via my new subaru plug to iso antenna socket

12: the other connects the back of the radio with the new plugs.

13: tune the radio to the frequency set on the revo 87.90 in my case; and it all works!!!

I had better get some photos sorted I suppose. I will be doing my wife's peugeot tomorrow which I hope will be a lot easier.

rd

Archived