LegacyGT.com

Cold air intake for LGT

turboman38

Did a search and some reading on the subject and still can not determine if a cold air intake will help or hurt with a stock tune or even stage one for that matter. I read a couple posts where the cold air intake screws up the MAF numbers.

Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it but what is the general concensus on this?

Thanks!

if you search for "aem cold air intake" or something along those lines you'll find some interesting reading. I think the few threads that I've read about it people have generally been happy... but nothing is going to reach it's full potential without a tune (except for coilovers or something :lol:)

I put on an AEM intake about 4 days ago. I am very happy with it. Car drives the same. A little peppier, less lag. And I also think the car pulls harder in higher RPMs.

NO CELs or any other probs either. Seems to be good. I will be going Stage 2 very soon, maybe this week, so well see how it looks on the dyno.

I love the throaty sound of CAI's, but from my experience with a Civic and a WRX respectively, they do more harm than good. I have been told by more than one Subaru Tuner/Dealer that the stock intake is quite sufficient for anything under 450-500 bhp.

Also, the stock intake set up gets air from a great place, the seams between the hood and fenders.

I am also no longer a fan of BOV's.

After returning my WRX to stock condition (CIA, among others) and now just recently putting the stock BPV back on my Legacy, the "returned" smoothness of the engine under acceleration, immediately after gear changes, is very noticeable (WRX and Legacy). I really love the sound and slightly reduced lag of BOV's but, to me, they also are not worth it. My focus will be exaust and ECU.

"...don't mess with the inhaling, only the exhaling!"

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

Archived