LegacyGT.com

What about Michelin Pilot Sport A/S?

SoldonSubie

OK. I drove in some heavy rain the other night and was pushed over the edge. I'm getting rid of my RE 92 A's. Seems that nobody is talking about these, probably because they are expensive and don't come in the standard size for the GT. However, they do come in 225/55 V17 for the OB. Any thoughts? I know they are VERY expensive. Like $800 for a set of 4 :cry: Honestly, an all season tire is just for me. Above average handling + excellent snow and rain traction is what I'm looking for. Do these fit the bill?

I have them on the 330 and yes they are expensive but they are an amazing tires. I have 225/35 and 255/35 18 and they still handled fine in the New Jersey winters for two years. Also have excellent rain traction as well.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

My OBXT had been suffering from a monotone "hum" that occurred at speeds from about 45mph upwards. The faster you go the louder the noise. It was very irritating in an otherwise quiet car. I took the car back to the dealer for them to diagnose. All they did was to tighten the windows. Noise was still there. A good friend helped diagnose the problem as tire noise! So I then bought some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Result: noise gone! I guess I could have got cheaper tires but I live in a snow area and needed a good all around tire. Look at the ratings these tires get on tirerack.com and compare to the ratings of RE92's. I got the tires from the dealer for $800 and got $200 back on the RE92's (they only had 1000 miles on them). Its well worth the $600. :)

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are some good all season tires. Probably one of the best all seasons in my opinion, but yeah they do cost a lot. If you really want good rain performance you gotta look at just getting summer only tires, those do amazing in the rain.

Thanks for the replies. Boy these Re92's are crap. The "Firestone Wilderness" tires that were standard on my 01 OB were better than these. :o I'm approaching 3k on my re92's. I'l ask my dealer if they could give me credit. if not I'l just buy the Michelins from Costco for about $210 a piece.

[quote name='ScoobyDo']My OBXT had been suffering from a monotone "hum" that occurred at speeds from about 45mph upwards. The faster you go the louder the noise. It was very irritating in an otherwise quiet car.[/quote] Same problem here!! I was thinking about getting a wheel balance, but there is no vibration, just the hum (which comes and goes at certain speeds but is constant otherwise). So I need new tires, eh?? Craig

[quote name='ScoobyDo']At first I was doubtful that the noise was from the tires. Thought that tire noise should change in frequency with speed. Anyway it worked for me.[/quote] Yeah, I had exactly the same thought. For a while, I was suspecting wheel bearing. I get a hum that has the same frequency at all speeds, only the noise level changes with speed (and when you hit bumps). I also detect a "beating" effect -- the noise goes away or intensifies at random time periods. Must be individual hums from each tire adding up and/or canceling. Ah, what fun. By the way, my wife's new Acura TSX is starting to make the same noise. She has Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires. What are the odds that we have two new cars making the same noise.... Craig

I have a set sitting at home for the stock rims at 225/45/17. They are an amazing tire, and the treadwear is soft enough to grip tremendously. Very pricy for the tires, but I got mine for a bargain at $550 for all 4 :D Keefe
Keefe

Craig, Your description of the noise is spot on. The tires act like a drum - beating effect. Strange that the TSX has the same problem and that it should be on Michelins. There must be more to it than we think. Is the tire size/profile the same as the XT? Maybe tire pressures will affect the noise too - not that I would want to run at non-specified pressures. Is the sound we hear being transmitted via the suspension or is it a direct sound? Maybe some of each. Looks like Subaru need to do some reseach to scientifically find the root cause. :idea:

The TSX has 215/50-17 tires. There is more road/tread noise in that car in general, so the hum blends in better. The OB is more quiet so the hum sticks out. I was almost thinking that the hum gets transmitted and may be exciting a vibration elsewhere, but the way the sound gets altered over bumps makes me think it's the tire making the noise directly. Also, my wife does not notice the noise, just me. Could be that some people are more sensitive to the noise, or maybe I am just too obsessive about cars! I may try tweaking tire pressure and see how it affects the noise. I don't particularly like the RE-92, but would rather wear them out before getting something better. Craig

I am more interested in rain dangers than snow and many have said that summer tires are better for fun and rain than All Season tires(M&S), but I still need added traction for stopping and steering on ski trips and do not want two sets of tires in Calif. When we get rain it rains hard and the roads don't drain well. Lost my last BMW to a May 5th, thunderstorm on an off-camber freeway curve with lots of standing water, even at low speed. I have some AWD experience and do not se it as magic. Does Suby make or is there a good brand of wires for Subys to enhance stopping and steering on ice/snow? Anyone have experience?

Craig, So its not related to tire size or profile except to say they are both low profiles. I did look up the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires on tirerack.com and see they do not rate as highly as the Pilot Sports. In fact they seem only slighlty better than the RE92's. When I still had the RE92's I took the car up to 100mph on the highway in Canada. The noise is loud enough that it is not masked by the stereo. I can attest to the fact that changing the tires does work to stop the noise. I have had this confirmed by a passenger who heard the before and after. Also the new tires have a better feel when driving. They seem more glued to the road. My wife did hear the noise too but only when I pointed it out. She did not object too much when I spent money replacing "perfectly good" tires. :D

Archived