LegacyGT.com

Clutch Thrust Bearing¿

Firstly I want to ask to double check - is thrust bearing same as clutch throw out bearing (or clutch bearing) which is on the clutch fork??

Now, when I am going down hill or not accelerating i.e.. slowing down/not accelerating etc - I have horrible grinding noise sounds like worn bearing, but if I accelerate the noise stops. Only occurs 60kmh or plus or 3rd/4th and 5th gear. It seems to get worse and worse but haven't gotten to the stage of "squealing" noises while putting the clutch in (like what happened to my previous car which had no bearing left! after driving from Adelaide back to Geelong!! - it wasn't Subaru that time!) - Spoken to my father in law about it, and he said sounds like thrust bearing.

Anyway, can it be replaced without dropping whole gearbox down? I have an jack specially made to put gearbox on and move it back - can it be done while its under the car? or its better to drop the gearbox down to the ground?

Would you recommend to replace while kit (clutch/pressure plate & throw out bearing?) the clutch isn't slipping yet & the clutch pedal is soft just like almost new.

Got a quote from Bursons for an standard Clutch Kit - $320 for Subaru 4WD EJ22. Or better get one from Subaru? Subaru one is $570

Cheers

AP

Oh its on my 1995 Liberty - 5MT AWD EJ22.

Archived