LegacyGT.com

Wheel and tire advice

AWD-Turbo

With springtime coming, I’ve been looking at various wheel/tire combinations, and I haven’t been able to make a decision. Here’s what I do know:

I’m currently running JDM GT bilstein suspension, and I will be getting the matching sti pinks installed this spring. I’m not sure how much this will lower the car since I don’t know anyone else running this exact combination (5EAT wagon).

The new tires will be Falken Azenis RT-615. They look to have fantastic dry grip, adequate wet grip, high load rating, stiff sidewall, and great feel/response.

Whatever combination I get, I want the tire diameter to be less than or equal to stock. I definitely don’t want to have taller gearing. My car is primarily a daily driver, but I will be doing a little autox for fun. I want to have enough grip so that I’m not sliding around too much and my brakes (bobcats, ss lines, ate) aren’t always locking up under hard use. I’d rather not do any fender rolling, but I would if its absolutely needed. I think the legacy is under-tired considering its size, weight, and horsepower. Since I’ve got a stiffer suspension and more power than stock, I think I definitely need more grip. I’m going for performance, not a particular look.

Here are the two wheel/tire combinations I’m considering:

A: 17x7.5 wheel +48 offset, 215/45R17

The 215 width Azenis run a little wider than most 215’s, so they should fill out the 7.5” wheel fairly well.

Pros: lighter than stock, no chance of rubbing

Cons: not enough grip?

B: 17x8 wheel +48 offset, 235/40R17

Pros: tons of grip, slightly shorter gearing

Cons: possibly heavier than stock, chance of rubbing

Questions:

Which wheel/tire combination would be better for acceleration? Combo A (stock diameter with lower weight) or combo B (shorter gearing with higher weight)?

Do you think combo B would rub when carrying a full load of passengers or under high cornering?

Thanks for reading this post. Please offer any answers, suggestions, or other wheel/tire combinations.

Matt

Archived