LegacyGT.com

Inspection in NY State...

inthedeck

Hey all, back with another question. I have a slight dilemma. The current inspection on my car, here in NY, expires in a few days. I have attempted to contact the dealer, to see if they have a VIN number for me, to no avail...and mind you, the guy didn't even call me back...so that kinda sucks too. So, the dilemma is...do I get the car inspected, before the new one gets here, or should I not worry about it, and just drive it to the dealer when the new one comes in? Not sure what to do...and I don't know when the LGT is coming either. The WRX is not being driven, and is parked in a private parking lot, so I don't need to worry about tickets...but will the dealer take a car that has an expired inspection sticker? Would they give me trouble over this? I don't really want to mention it to them...as they will have to reinspect it anyway...and then I will have to pay for inspection of the old car and new one too -- seems like a waste. Any suggestions? thanks, i.

FYI I drove for a year on an expired sticker in MA.. How much is the ticket and how much is the inspection? I'd just chance it.. you'll probably only get a warning if you get pulled over a few months out anyway.. but I'm speaking from the way MA drivers are treated.

yeah, DK, I have seen many people with expired inspections. Again, I am not driving the car...before I trade it in...so I am not gonna worry about tickets. The inspection cost about 35 bucks...but I don't wanna get it done, and then have to pay the dealer another 'inspection' fee when I go pick up the new one. I know they aren't going to 'discount' it...from the total price. Might as well stick with an expired one, for now, till I get the new car. Plus, I think we have a 7-10 day grace period, before the 5-0 give us any hassles. Thanks, i.

You shouldn't have to pay for inspection on a new car from a dealer. That should be free....as far as driving with it not inspected, i've known tons of people who did it in similar dilemas as you, but my luck is the one time i did do it, i got pulled over. The cop was such an a$$...it was my girlfriends parents car, not my fault at all, but he gave me a ticket, ruined my clean record, and told me that he ALWAYS looks at the inspection sticker before getting into drive someone's car....yeah right, just give me the ticket and go eat some doughnuts.... not bad though, i think $40-50 and 1 point on the license...something like that...but what a pain. :evil:

Two-Five Sti-L... I hear that. Am not going near the city any time soon. Definately not parking there either. As for the car, well, it's just sitting around right now...as I mentioned, I haven't driven it in a couple of weeks, and the last day I drive it will be to go drop it off at the dealership. Thanks again, and by the way, where in the NYC are you? I know another on the board that is close to where I am...in the boogie down. I myself am just about 10 minutes north. Later, i

[quote name='Two-Five Sti-L']just make sure your car isn't parked on public streets. The tix is $110 in NYC and there is no "Grace" period since Doomberg's administration is hungry for $.[/quote] I think the grace period is already factor into the sticker when you first get it. Anyways thats all in the past for me (got CT license and plates... :wink: ) I think there is about 5 or 6 guys including myself from NYC on this board. Anyone planning a Leg GT meet next year or something.?
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

[quote name='inthedeck']Two-Five Sti-L... Thanks again, and by the way, where in the NYC are you? I know another on the board that is close to where I am...in the boogie down. I myself am just about 10 minutes north. Later, i[/quote] I'm in Staten Island, just like Godwhoismike. I haven't met him yet though. Where are u in upstate? I used to do some auto-x at the Palisades Mall right next to Home Depot. [quote name='Ridgeracer'] I think the grace period is already factor into the sticker when you first get it. [/quote] Good pt. They do give u an extra 10 days or so from the actual date you perform the inspection.

Two-five -- live about 20 minutes SE from the Tappan Zee bridge. So, pretty close to one of the bridges - Throggs Neck/White Stone. I have a friend that used to auto-x at the palisades...but he gave his car to his brother -- greeen honda civic with white wheels...maybe u have seen him a couple of years ago. Anyway, lemme know when the next one is...I might have to take the drive (rack up a couple of miles...hehe). Ridgeracer...where abouts in CT? Of course, once I get the car, meet's can always be had...maybe one of the auto-x's before/during break-in. Anyway, thanks for the help...not going to be getting the inspection done. Car has exactly 48K on it, and it's being traded in within the next couple of weeks. peace, i.

I lived on Long Island and had a one month expired inspection tag and it was a $125 fine, including surcharges. I had to get it inspected within 5-7 days and get the dealer to "sign off" on it, then I had to bring it to court when I paid the $125. I currently live in the Catskills, Upstate NY and one of my friends had an expired inspection sticker of 6 months. He got a $35 fine and had 14 days to get it inspected. So obviously, I guess it is based on how strict the laws are and how big of a jerk the cop is. The cop on Long Island was a Nassau County cop, and if you ask anyone who lives in Nassau County, they will tell you that they have no mercy. The Catskill cop was a local cop and knew my friend, so he gave him a few extra days. I hope that gives you an idea of what to expect. If you are going over by a few days and not weeks, I don't think you will have a problem. Just keep the foot a little lighter than usual, and keep a low profile, so you don't get pulled over. With that said.... thats my first post. By the way, this site is awesome. I may not own a LGT, but I'm striving for one in the next 3-6 months. Just thought I would use this site for some support and ideas before I went and purchased a $28k car.

Archived