LegacyGT.com

Strange noise from factory headunit

Bicster

Every now and again, my factory headunit emits a series of weird electronic buzzing noises through the speakers. It happens regardless of the source selection. It's not that loud, but it's noticable, especially during pauses between songs. It's as if something is intermittently shorting out and causing this noise. I would probably never be able to reproduce it for the service department unless it gets a lot worse... any suggestions?

I don't think it has anything to do with a mobile phone.

The noise is the same every time. I wish I could describe it, but I can't think of anything it sounds like.

Maybe I will try burning an audio CD of all silence, and see if I can capture the noise...hrm.

could it be due to cell phone transmission?

+1. Usually sounds like a ticking buzz, and the noise was always pretty much the same. One of my old cell phones did it all of the time.

If it happes often and is very regular, drive around with your cell phone and a silent cd as you said, and listen. Then turn your cell phone off and see if it helps.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

My cell phone carrier is T-Bone.

Im assuming you mean t-mobile, if that is the case you are using a GSM phone and they are famous for causing such wierd interferences. I have two gsm phones unfortunatly so i get hit double. Put your phone by the radio and dial voicemail and see if its louder.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• 10 months later...
ive got something similar, but it only seems to be coming from the passenger side speaker. and i know its not gsm interference. as long as the headunit is on there is a high pitched but very low volume hum. as soon as i turn the headunit off it goes away. but the funny thing is that it doesnt happen every time i drive the car.

I have the same problem, its not cell interference. It happens even when the cd player is on. It can be described as sounding either like switching through the old style radios or almost like a dj scratching a record. I could not reproduce it on my return to the service department.

• 1 year later...
at&t does this to my car and truck. i get it before phone calls, during data updates and receiving text messages. where do you have your cell phone? i get this even with mine setting on top of the fold away for the cup holders.

I have the same problem, its not cell interference. It happens even when the cd player is on. It can be described as sounding either like switching through the old style radios or almost like a dj scratching a record. I could not reproduce it on my return to the service department.

it is messing with the speakers, like using a walkie talkie next to a speaker, not the radio itself. it wont matter what the input is at the time. my cell will do this on my night stand as well next to my clock radio when it is playing.

at&t does this to my car and truck. i get it before phone calls, during data updates and receiving text messages. where do you have your cell phone? i get this even with mine setting on top of the fold away for the cup holders.

I have AT&T too... I'm sure it does it when I leave the phone at home too, I think.

Archived