LegacyGT.com

Is the XT faster than the GT 0-60?

[quote name='Jedi Pimp']Um yeah - crappy tires aside, theoretically will it be faster?[/quote] It's not the quality (stickyness) of the tire that is in question here, it is the overall diameter of the wheel/tire. The OB has higher profile tires. To add to that, the OB is more luxurious and therefore weighs in a bit more.

Final drive only matters if you're getting to top gear, which you aren't running 0-60. Both GT and XT turn the trick (presuming a manual gearbox) in one shift. This means that weight comes into play. The XT is heavier, and thus will be a bit slower. Kevin

Subaru claims 5.9 for the base XT wagon which weighs 3,415 pounds and 5.8 for the base GT sedan which weighs 3,300 pounds. The base GT wagon weighs 3,355 pounds. Also to note, a base XT wagon actually weighs a little less (20 lbs) than a LTD GT wagon. All of these #'s are with MT. A LTD wagon with AT weighs 3,500 pounds. I was always under the impression that the "overall drive ratio" factored into accelaration times. Mulitiply each gear ratio by the final drive ratio. The higer the # the quicker the car. Simple, I know. Also, the final drive ratio is the axel ration right? You're turing that in all 5 gears right?

The transmission ratios are different with the Outback XT getting shorter gears in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Legacy GT 5spd Man Outback XT 5spd Man 1 - 3.166 1 - 3.454 2 - 1.882 2 - 1.947 3 - 1.296 3 - 1.366 4 - 0.972 4 - 0.972 5 - 0.738 5 - 0.738 Final Drive 4.11 Final Drive 4.44

Guest *Jedimaster*
Hey, another Jedi! And with an XT! Honestly, the 2 are so close in terms of hp, etc that it would be a driver's race.

First off, the SRT-4 was built basically as a straight line car. Almost any company can put a powerful engine in a small car and get ridiculous numbers, but you are only preparing yourself for one type of driving. As soon as the SRT-4 hits a turn, if you are on the gas what so ever, the wheels break loose. I've personally experienced this in a previous year version. I know they have added LSD, which could potentially make a difference, but i haven't driven that one, so i can't comment on it. I just think that for a 20k+ car, you should get more than what is offered in the neon. I mean no rear power windows...come on. As far as the mechanics of the engine and stuff, its great, only wish it went to a platform which was a little more deserving. Besides they basically took the WRX numbers and said we need to beat this to 60....if the prices were the same and the choice was WRX or Neon, i would think the neon would get blown out of the water...as it stands it seems like its for people who can't quite get the few k more to get the scooby. And forget about trying to drive that car in the snow!

[quote name='D-2.5-GT']First off, the SRT-4 was built basically as a straight line car. Almost any company can put a powerful engine in a small car and get ridiculous numbers, but you are only preparing yourself for one type of driving. As soon as the SRT-4 hits a turn, if you are on the gas what so ever, the wheels break loose. I've personally experienced this in a previous year version. I know they have added LSD, which could potentially make a difference, but i haven't driven that one, so i can't comment on it. I just think that for a 20k+ car, you should get more than what is offered in the neon. I mean no rear power windows...come on. As far as the mechanics of the engine and stuff, its great, only wish it went to a platform which was a little more deserving. Besides they basically took the WRX numbers and said we need to beat this to 60....if the prices were the same and the choice was WRX or Neon, i would think the neon would get blown out of the water...as it stands it seems like its for people who can't quite get the few k more to get the scooby. And forget about trying to drive that car in the snow![/quote] Being a Subaru elitist is fun isn't it? The SRT-4 is car geared towards one market: young people. Hence the cost cutting. Dodge knew how much they had to make the car, and had to cut things out so that their target age group could afford it. Do you think the people who are buying them care about rear windows? They aren't as bad in turns as people make them out to be, much like how a Camaro SS isn't too shaby on road courses either. With the addidtion of an LSD, this thing should really move! It's not fair to compare the WRX to the SRT-4 "if" they were the same price. They aren't, and Dodge did this on purpose. It's cheap, cheaply made, FWD rocket! As for driving FWDs in the snow, I'm sure with a nice set of winter tires the SRT-4 would do just fine!

As for the XT vs. GT comparo..... What is the OD of each tire/wheel combination? And what % does that change the overall drive ratio? There is only a 65lb difference between the two.

The LSD helps the Neon a lot. Don't kid yourselves. That car is a rocket, and also brakes and handles quite well. As far as not having power rear windows, anybody who's back there can crank their own windows, I say. As far as the XT vs. GT, fundamentally, the cars are the same. There are so many other variables to diffrentiate the two that 0-60 should be the least of anyone's concerns. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']The LSD helps the Neon a lot. Don't kid yourselves. That car is a rocket, and also brakes and handles quite well. As far as not having power rear windows, anybody who's back there can crank their own windows, I say. As far as the XT vs. GT, fundamentally, the cars are the same. There are so many other variables to diffrentiate the two that 0-60 should be the least of anyone's concerns. Kevin[/quote] Thanks Kev...some people just won't accept that that car is a rocket! Just because it's a FWD Neon doesn't mean it can't brake and handle well, just look at the previous gen ACRs!

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='TLS']No cruise control option is something I'd be MORE "ambarrassed" about![/quote] pwn3d by teh Spelling Police!!1 BTW, LSD or not, you'd have to be on LSD to drive a Neon and expect to be respected.

[quote name='jedimaster'][quote name='TLS']No cruise control option is something I'd be MORE "ambarrassed" about![/quote] pwn3d by teh Spelling Police!!1 BTW, LSD or not, you'd have to be on LSD to drive a Neon and expect to be respected.[/quote] I would once I'd blew past your OBXT... :P

Does this really matter? I cross-shopped between Sube and Dodge, ended up with the OBXT. I never test drove the SRT-4, but I can tell just from my experience what to expect. Basically, its a cheap car that's been stripped of most creature comforts; I couldn't see spending 20k on a car whose sole redeeming virtue was performance; I could probably duplicate the performance for around $5k with a CRX ($10k if I wanted it to look nice). Anyway, for the purposes of this conversation, its probably more fair to compare the performance of the WRX STI to that of the SRT-4; no, they are no where close in cost, but the OBXT and STI are very close; the people in this forum are looking to spend ~$30k, not ~$20k. So, lets talk STI vs. SRT-4- which really is no competition whatsoever (I don't think anyone would question the dominance of the STI here).

SRT-4 is a pretty sick car. THe exhuast and turbo sound great together stock and it has a lot of potential. May have a crappy base car and still be FWD but its the best you can get out of a neon they did a good job on it.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='gtguy']The LSD helps the Neon a lot. Don't kid yourselves. That car is a rocket, and also brakes and handles quite well. As far as not having power rear windows, anybody who's back there can crank their own windows, I say. Kevin[/quote] But it's a [i]Neon[/i]!! Yuck!

Archived