LegacyGT.com

Subaru Bucks: no change from $100.00? WTF?

So I open the mail and there's my first coupon for $100 Subaru Bucks from my Chase Mastercard. I'm looking at it and it says [paraphrasing] "no change if purchase less than coupon amount".

WTF? I know it's basically free money, but this just seems stupid. Why not give amounts of $25 or $50. They must know the average person isn't going to spend $100.00 in one shot.

I was going to use it for an oil change tomorrow; obviously, the tab will be well under $100.00. I guess I just buy a bunch of other stuff even though I don't need it right now.

You can sell them on here or NASIOC. I think the going rate is $80 per $100 Subaru bucks.
CAVEAT EMPTOR!

SOA's instructions to dealerships on how to handle SubaruBucks (see http://www.subarubucks.com/bucks.html) include this statement:

1. Check that the front of the coupon includes the redeemer’s name and address (or that of a family member).

Don't be surprised if your dealership refuses to accept the SubaruBucks you bought on the internet because they're made out to someone else.

That same webpage also says:

6. Dealers DO NOT need to provide change for the unused portion of the coupon but may offer customers credit or cash back at the dealer’s discretion.

Whether you totally lose the unused portion of a SubaruBucks coupon depends on your dealership's policy . Therefore it would be prudent to find out what your dealership's policy is beforehand.

Archived