LegacyGT.com

96 2.5GT Auto tranny problems

9625gt

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, and i have a problem.

My CV Joint has been clicking for a few weeks now (ordered it today will have it tomarrow to replace), i thought that was my only problem... boy was i wrong lol.

last night, the problem got much worse, now not only does it click while turning (originally only when turning left, last week it starting clicking in right turns too), now it clicks consistantly with the engine speed even when in a straight line! on top of that, today it started slipping. when i give it any significant amount of gas/torque it slips and the speedo/tach shoot up while the car doesn't speed up at all. bad news :( question is... is my whole tranny shot or just the clutch? even worse, last night i thought i heard things (bolts, etc) coming off and clanging down the bottom of the car. i stopped to see if i could see anything and didn't.

sooo... what's the damage? i'm guessing i would be best off simply swapping out the tranny and changing the bad axle/cv. question is what tranny's can i use? i've read that all ej engines are for the same except for FI parts and wiring, etc. so any ej auto tranny will do? the car is a 96, so what years can i use?

Thanks!

it sounds like the halfshaft is coming apart or about to or did

replace the 1/2shaft, it sounds like both are bad!!!

check the ATF fluid level

drive it....problem gone? if is u lucked out bigg!!!!

real quick..... "been clicking for a few weeks" u realize were u live?? salt,sand,snow.... how long didu think it would last?

u need to remember AWD the 1/2shaft probably broke & is f-ing with everything else!!!!

i knew it wasn't going to last too long, but had to get to work to get the money to fix it. i ordered the whole axle assembly, normally $160 from napa but i got a deal. i'm assuming this will include the half-shaft?

also, another detail. when i put it into park sometimes it will still creep on a relatively flat surface.

Archived