LegacyGT.com

Radiator is FUBAR!!

Mwiener - I just found it easier to bring it to the dealer to have them change it since they had the part and everything right there. I wasn't in the mood to do any work and plus it was raining outside and since i don't have a garage and i was in the neighborhood i figured why not have them do it. Its under warranty so i might as well use it while I've got it.

Doodog- I receieved a quote from the service department and they said the radiator will run around $300 like you said. They'll also flush out the lines in the process of installing a new one which i bet will be around 1 1/2 -2 hours.

In early February '05, I was working in Hardinsburg KY and my LGT was just over four months old.

On a 10-degree day, I hit a piece of frozen mud on a dirt road, which destroyed my lower radiator tank. I got the free Subaru tow to the nearest dealer (Wilson Subaru in Elizabethtown KY....apparently no longer around).

The whole repair bill was out of my pocket, but they charged me $119 (IIRC) for a new factory radiator, and I do remember the total bill for the radiator, coolant, and all labor was $252 out-the-door.

Ron

:icon_eek:

I thought our subes were tuff rally cars. Maybe need some of these... http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid.htm

That idea has crossed my mind....

The radiator tanks are plastic, so they can't be repaired, and have zero resistance to any kind of hit (no flex or bend, just break). If I knew that was going to be doing all of this work in the boonies, I would have bought an Outback or a Forester for the additional ground clearance. The LGT is just too low for some of my driving.

It also goes without saying that the silly plastic belly pan also got tore up. It also irritated me getting the panel off to change the oil filter, so I just pulled off what remained of that plastic panel last Fall. Oil changes go much quicker now!!

Ron

To keep you guys up to date with my situation...I just got off the phone with the insurance rep and learned that its pretty much not worth filing a claim given the circumstances. My dedectible is $500 for collision, which they will file it under, and the cost to repair is $500 (i think i'm getting F'ed in this). The insurance rep told me to put up a big stink with SOA or the Dealer because this sounds like a manufacturer defect or something. If an object came from within the car and went through the radiator i could have a case. I called the dealer and told them to hold the damaged radiator aside so i can look at it/take pictures. They'll never confess it was them who forgot a tool/part in the engine compartment so I'll have to go with the fact it could be a defected part.

I'm almost convinced it couldn't come from off the road becasue of the plasic covering on the underbody.

What a way to start the weekend...

...I need a beer.

Im curious, I know in MY03 that the dual fans cover most of the radiator surface on the back side. Presumably, if your fins are bent, and the core punctured, whatever flew into it had quite a bit of force behind it.

Check, if you can the fan blades for knicks or dings.. hell, make sure all the blades are there. ;)

Seems to me that whatever hit the back had to go through the fans to do it. I suppose that a rock or some debris could've been kicked up, deflected off the engine cover and got spit into the fans..

You say for instance you heard a squeel (bebris lodged in fan perhaps?)

Then a Pop (Fan going on and kicking debris into radiator.)

Strange.. hope that you get it resolved.

Honestly- sounds to me like the Dealer left something under the hood from your bulb replacement and it finally shook loose- which is why I suspect you're getting the run around you are from them, as well as the lofty price quote.

I agree, don't back down so quickly, regardless of what you know- go look at it, the Dealer doesn't know what you do or do not know- and I can guarentee you that they are not going to give you a straight answer if that answer means that they don't get your cash. As well, having not gone to look at it- they chould replaced something they may have found missing- It shoulda been the first thing you did was look and take pictures, shouldn't have let them touch anything else till that was done.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice Drakuun. I'll keep some of that in mind next time i speak with them. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to go to the dealer and look/take pictures directly after the incident. At first they told me $430 parts+labor. Now its $500. Apparently the radiator itself costs $332. Are there any Subaru dealers out there that could give me a price quote for the replacement of a stock radiator? Or could you tell me if I'm getting screwed here? By the way things have been going I feel like I'm being taken for a ride. What kind of game are they playing here? An honest opinion from a dealer would be very helpfu.

Shitty...now that I know that is there anything I can do about it? if i tell them their price is B.S. they'll just look at me and say "thats too bad." What can I do? Actually, now that i think of it, i'm gonna call another dealership and get a price quote from them.

Well, they are making some money, how much its hard to say. Just because there are companies who can get things cheaper, does not mean that the dealer is able to do that. I'm sure the dealer has a set channel they need to go through to get parts, rather than shop around for the cheapest.

There number is not too far of the MSRP listing though. You can bet you aren't going to get a deal like this through the dealer. It will be full price all the way, regardless of who you go through. While the numbers may differ slightly, i still don't think any of the dealers will beat the price i got off of the website.

Is it possible for you to order the radiator and supply it to them? Hell i would think even with overnight shipping you could still get it cheaper than what they told you.

A goodwill consideration? Like what? Credit towards Subaru parts? I agree that it is arguable/undetermined what caused the damage so for them to charge me, I think, is B.S. Why should this default to me having to pay if its inconclusive if the warranty can cover this? It should just default to me not having to pay.

Sorry for the ranting there, i just got carried away. But I'll give Subaru a call and see what kind of B.S. they can sling my way.

Thanks guys for the ammo in this battle.

It hasn't been determined to a degree of certainty what the root-cause of the punctured radiator is yet.

There are 3 possible outcomes:

- Foreign object got inside : You/Insurance pays

- A part failed and made a mess : Subaru pays

- Dealership zombies left something inside the engine bay : Dealer pays

So before you discuss/argue with the Dealer about how much it's gonna cost or what SoA should do for you, find out what the root-cause is then go from there. Go take a look at that radiator.

Sometimes words said and actions done, can't be taken back after the fact.

Take your time.

I keed I keeed

Thanks for the advice. I did call SOA and they contacted the dealer and told them to find out what happened. SOA is to call me back and tell me weather or not it can be determined if this is covered. If it's still a gray area and undetermined as to the root of the problem then the Rep said, more than likely, the warranty will cover it. I hope thats the case. Wish me luck.

Hopefully because I'm putting up such a fuss I'll get some kind of good out of this.

So SOA told me that by the looks of the damage, it was "outside influence" that caused the damage. Therefore I'm F'ed and I have to pay. But the other thing I was thinking about is that I never authorized the dealer to go ahead and do the work on my car. I remember talking to them and saying when they get the part to call me first before putting it in. Maybe they misunderstood this and thought when they got the part to go and do the work then call. But don't I need to sign something saying to do the work?

I'm also going to get a second opinion on the radiator. I'm not backing down on this one...plus, i've got spare time.

Definitely need that beer after work...of which, has been a pretty unfullfilling/unproductive day.

Verbal confirmation is enough to do the work. You don't usually need to sign anything before they can work on it. Although, you may have signed something when you dropped it off explaining the problem and giving them permission to investigate as well proof they have your car. This however doesn't give them permission to do the work, unless it was stated on there.

Will your insurance cover this? I'd think if they are sticking with the "outside influence" story, that you could argue this with insurance. Depends if its worth the claim or not and how much your deductible is.

I would however source the radiator elsewhere if i were you. It may take a little longer since you'll have to wait, but you may save yourself some money. A second opinion isn't a bad idea either. There's always Subaru of Nashua, Exeter, Concord, although it will most likely need a tow which would be a waste unless its a killer deal.

Already talked to the insurance rep...My deductible is $500 for collision (which they will file it under) and the claim is $501. So i'm not going to press that issue. I picked up a blank key envelope (to understand/read through better) that i originally signed and dropped my keys off in on Tuesday night and i think i checked off the "Go ahead with the repairs" box rather than the "Call me up with and estimate" box. And since i signed it i think i just signed my fate along with it. I did call Subaru of Nashu and Exeter and Ed Reilly Subaru in Concord and they all gave me roughly the same cost for a radiator. So thats pretty much no contention. All in all, I have nothing. A total waste of a weeks worth of pay and a great deal of frustration, bitchin, and moaning on my part.

Anyways, thanks for the help and advice everyone.

D-2.5-GT if you happen to be at Raxx billiards tonight in Manchester (i only go there because its cheap and given my recent expenses thats where I'll be), look for me...I'll be the drunk kid with a couple dumbass friends convincing him to make poor decisions. Or go to Shaskeen, that Irish bar near Margaritas, thats a chill place too. In all actuality, I'll be wearing a black Spyder brand softshell jacket with a red spider logo on the back. Have a beer with me.

Archived