LegacyGT.com

Anyone have 3M paint gaurd film on thier car?

lag

I just got an '06 GT last tuesday. While at the dealer I saw a Spec-B with the 3M paint guard on the front (the [?] managers car) and asked her about it. It's ~$900 right now, discount, for all of the leading edges of the car. I declined to have this done at first but then on a drive to lunch after being bombarded with road debris I felt this might be a good investment in the looks of the car in the long term. So I made an apointment when I got back to the office to get it done this coming wendsday.

Just wondering if anyone else has it on their car and if they think it was worth the cash.

BTW: I called around to independent installers of the 3M film and the best quote I got was $1200+.

I would get it done to the bumper, but I'd never put it on the hood. I don't care how clear it is because you'll always be able to see it. Maybe not from a distance, but you will see it. Besides, all my rock chips are too far up on the hood for the hood protection part to have saved me from. Getting it on the front bumper would have been a good idea from the start.

Make sure the installer is good and the material he uses is good. You don't want it looking like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/clearbra.jpg

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I bought my car used and it was already on there so I never had to price it out. Overall I am quite happy with mine. Obviously I don't see any chips that remove paint in that area. I would suggest getting it but definately not at the dealer. I don't think it should cost that much. Like they say, make sure it is good quality clear bra so that it doesn't discolour. Very helpful if you do a lot of highway driving in the winter or drive on a lot of gravel roads.

Ya, when the dealer was trying to sell it to me during the sale of the car I declined because I thought it shouldn't be that much either. But as I called around I was quoted north of $1200 for everything that came with the 3M kits at the dealer that she's selling me at $100 below advertised cost.

The panels that are covered are:

Front of front fenders

hood

bumper

headlights

rearview mirrors

leading edge of the hood scoop

and the leading edge of the roof, just before the sunroof

I'll post pics over next weekend.

Damn, I got my WRX done for $300 by a friend and he still made money. He took care of the hood, mirrors, rear rockers and the scrap was used under my doorhandles to reduce fingernail scatches there. That has to be the biggest profiting accessory for the dealership.

yeah that price sounds about right, and i got a price of an extra $700 from the dealer and i told him to fly a kite, but i saw some of those things on ebay for under $50, u can try that-we will pass on it cause you can see it and looks like a condom on your car

My dad has it on his MDX which he tows behind his motorhome good stuff does save paint. Rocks will seek out areas that are not covered. Wish I had done mine. Subaru paint will chip if you look at it too hard.

Archived