LegacyGT.com

Preview of Pioneer Avic Z-1

morrias

It's a double-din unit, which means it would be a pain to pu tin our cars. The MSRP is $2250. Here's a link to a CNET video of it in action:

http://www.cnet.com/Pioneer_AVIC_Z1/4660-11405_1-6413241.html

Sounds a lot like the Eclipse AVN5495 that's been out for a while now. I think at about the same price as well. Double din will fit in our dash in place of the cubby with very little custom work.

ignore him, he'll go away.

It would almost be stupid money, except it has bluetooth dialing capabilities, and an OSD ipod interface. When you figure $900 for a good GPS, $300 for a bluetooth device, and $200 for an ipod controller (HK drive+play), it's not that far off to have it all in one unit. And sat. radio too :)

Not saying i'm signing up to run out and get one, but it's pretty cool. I'll have to check out the eclipse as well.

it's also just stupid money. For about 1/3 of that you can get an excellent portable unit that also works of HD.

I disagree. For those with an OEM double-din radio (i.e. WRX), this provides a much better head unit, CD/mp3, DVD video playback, touch-screen LCD, navigation with traffic information, satellite radio capability, iPod capability, voice recognition, hdd music library, etc. Sure you can buy a portable GPS/mp3 unit for cheaper, but it's not going to be as integrated, won't have all of the features, and you'll still be stuck with a low quality head unit. Now, for a LGT, unless you can separate the head unit from the a/c it probably wouldn't be a good choice...

I had an AVIC-N1 in my STi, and it was great. The mapping looked, IMHO, much better than the Kenwood unit in my spec.B. The N1 will soon find its way into my Forester. :)

-Mike-

It's a double-din unit, which means it would be a pain to pu tin our cars. The MSRP is $2250. Here's a link to a CNET video of it in action:

http://www.cnet.com/Pioneer_AVIC_Z1/4660-11405_1-6413241.html

Oh boy. You can sit in your car and rip CDs and if it has the CD in the internal database you even get metadata.

Why vendors continue to offer this retarded feature is beyond me. My CDs are already ripped. Give me a way to move them onto the head unit. Does the PIoneer allow me to put a CD with MP3s or WMA on it and copy them to the internal disk? If so that would be very cool.

• 1 month later...
I Now, for a LGT, unless you can separate the head unit from the a/c it probably wouldn't be a good choice...

-Mike-

Why? You can either splice into the existing speaker wiring (others on here have done it)so you can use both the new hu and the old hu, or, easier still, just install better speakers and run the wiring yourself to the new hu eliminating the stock hu. You'll get much better sound out of it compared to the stock unit anyway

Why?

Because morrias is not talking about a single-din N1/N2/N3. The Z1, a double-din head unit, is the size of the OEM WRX/Forester 6-disc radio. fweasel thinks that you could fit it relatively easy, but I'm not so sure. You'd have to find a way to mount the unit, make a trim panel, etc. (I'm not sure of the dimensions of the Subaru navigation screen bezel, and if it would fit). I just think that a double-din radio would be best in the location of where, say, a WRX head unit would be.

That, and I personally don't like the look of two head units. :icon_tong

-Mike-

it's also just stupid money. For about 1/3 of that you can get an excellent portable unit that also works of HD.

True, but it's awfully hard to cram and play a DVD in a portable. :lol: Anyway, I bought one for my 05 Limited and I'll do a complete write up when it's installed.

Nope. Copy protected..I looked it up cause I was curious as well.

Pioneer strikes again.

This is why I won't buy a Pioneer navigation product again. The AVIC series is like having a "legal nanny" in the car with you at all times. If it has a useful feature, Pioneer blocks it while the car is in motion.

For example, the simple one-touch "RETURN HOME" button on my AVIC-N2 is disabled while the car is in motion, and yet it allows me to enter the audio EQ menus and tweak hundreds of settings while the car is in motion. :rolleyes: Who was the dumbass lawyer that designed Pioneer's interface? It's like the people at Pioneer didn't even test the software before releasing it.

Archived