LegacyGT.com

Toughguard paint sealant lasts 5 years?!?!

What I want to know is how does the "guarantee" work?

Customer - Your product is not working any more, and it's only been four years.

Toughguard - Looks fine to me.

Customer - No, it's stopped working.

Toughguard - Prove it!

Customer - I can't. It's just not working...

And if a bird craps on your car & there is a mark, what are they going to do about it. Reapply the "protection" over the bird crap mark? Repaint your car for you? I doubt it...

What I want to know is how does the "guarantee" work?

Customer - Your product is not working any more, and it's only been four years.

Toughguard - Looks fine to me.

Customer - No, it's stopped working.

Toughguard - Prove it!

Customer - I can't. It's just not working...

And if a bird craps on your car & there is a mark, what are they going to do about it. Reapply the "protection" over the bird crap mark? Repaint your car for you? I doubt it...

By George I think you got it! Dont waste your $$$$. Nothing lasts a year let alone 5.:lol:

Puhhlllleeeeeeease.... That is as much BS as the 'Teflon' sealants of the 90s and earlier. Teflon doesn't do shit unless it is applied at high temperatures. Companies were telling people that the car was protected with Teflon and it would never come off. :lol: Whatever... Nothing lasts 5 years. Shoot, even some paint jobs won't last that long. They can't seriously think I'm going to buy that their acrylic sealant is going to last 5 years when it isn't unusual for clear coat failure to begin after 7 years on unprotected paint.

For what its worth... Klasse is also an acrylic sealant and it is what I use in the winter because it is more durable than many polymer sealants. It isn't 5 years durable, but it is a good 4 or 5 months worth. Nothing in a bottle is going to last 5 years unless it is sprayed on with a paint gun in a paint booth and is called 'paint'. :lol:

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

On this note. OCDetails, what would your opinion of what this place does be? It is a PTFE sealant and they sell it as a sort of system where you come back once a year and pay a "small" amount for reapplication. The inital charge is listed as anywhere from $225-475, for a 1-5 year program, and includes wash, clay, and polish.

I got a gift certificate for this place and although I won't be in this area long enough to participate in a multi-year plan, I'd like to know if their statements are BS. This shop has come highly recommended by others, including Subietonic from this site.

Wow... you'd think after 22 years of business they could describe some things acurately. The little orange spots you see on your car are not "severe" cases of fallout. If you have a white car then it happens fairly quick. In fact, if your car is 6 months old and you have never clayed it and you've put some miles on it then chances are you have these little dots on the back bumper and deck lid. It is just a fact of life with a daily driver that spends time on the freeway.

I can't knock what they are selling because I haven't ever seen it. It sounds like they really do have a concern for protecting your car and not introducing new swirls. How good this sealant looks is another story... I'll give you an example. I use Klasse in the winter because it is super durable and I don't have to worry about it wearing off in the middle of January when the last thing I want to do is wax the car. It isn't much on looks, but it is some pretty serious shine. I like my car to look like wet paint, so typically I will top a few layers of Klasse with a carnauba so I can get that look. Klasse all by itself doesn't provide it for me. Now, Klasse is an acrylic sealant that can last 4 or 5 months, but nothing I know of that you apply by hand once a year is going to last for a full year. They say something about using heat to apply this, so it is possible that their product could last a year based on their application method. I mentioned before that Teflon sealants are a bunch of bunk because they have to be applied with heat in order to bond. That may very well be what they are using. I'm not too impressed with their camera phone shot of the Porsche, but it does look pretty shiny. You'd probably have to see what one of their cars look like with this on to know for sure.

I notice that they are going to charge you an arm and a leg for the sealant treatment. You could buy a bottle of Wolfgang that you apply once every 10 - 12 weeks and spend far less than that and your car will look shiny and wet all the time. It may not last for a year, but seriously... who waits a year between waxing their car? Certianly not people who are willing to drop $300 bucks on a coat of wax. I wouldn't ever put this on my car knowing what I know about the snake oil so many detail shops provide. There are dealerships that charge $300 bucks for a coat of their wonder sealant too and all they use is Klasse Sealant Glaze. I wouldn't pay that much for something I know I could apply myself.

Also, sealants don't prevent IFO. Much of the fallout that gets on your car is from your own brake dust. It is hot as it leaves your brakes and it doesn't matter what you have on the paint because nothing will stop that hot dust from melting into your clear coat. What I would love to do is take my car to them for this treatment and then 1 year later prove to the world that my car is covered with IFO from being outside so much and not being clayed regularly like paint should. More than likely you will want to retreat your car prior to the year being up, but that isn't what you paid for so they would have to charge you again. That's how you stay in business for 22 years. Convince your customers that they can't do this themselves and that they need you. I put all the information you need to detail your own car on my website and yet somehow I still get customers. My customers appreciate that I don't mind showing them what I'm doing or telling them where to get the products I'm using. If they would take better care of their car then I wouldn't have to do it for them. ;)

Anyway, beware of any detail shop who isn't 100% forthcoming about what they are using. Also beware of any detailer who tells you that you never have to wax your car again. Usually they tell you that so that you'll bring it back to them to do it. Sneaky bastards... There isn't anything a detail shop is going to do that you couldn't do yourself with the right tools. Polishers and extractors and paint thickness gauges are all things that you could buy yourself if you were really interested in it. Every product they use are things that you could likely buy yourself too. Don't let them convince you that only a detailer can take care of your paint. It is totally within your ability and much more satisfying than writing checks.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

LOL:lol:

Sucker born everyday I guess thats why these shops continue to exist and do well. Its sad in a way. Nothing worse than being uninformed. If it wasn't for forums like this they would be doing even better.

ah hell.... stop asking me questions. Everytime I go on a rant it turns into a novel. :lol: Sorry about that...

No worries, I appreciate the insight. I have a $100 gift certificate to the place, I'll put it towards their $130 exterior detail where they just finish off with a wax. It'll have to wait until I get back from Africa at the end of Feb. though. I'll take pics of their work afterward.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate the "protection" WAX that dealerships put on. Its a crappy product, and I wouldnt use it.

Use Zymol. Much better, lasts longer, and rinsing the car off after or a few days later makes it shine more than just the wash/wax. IMO. I need tot ake some pics. I wish I knew where my camera was.

Archived