LegacyGT.com

Leaky rear diff

OhBe1

Noticed new spots on the carport floor, under our 6-week, 2700-mile LOB. In a different place than the spots from the leaky front crank seal in our old '98.

Crawling under revealed a line of oil flung across the belly, even with the aft end of the driveshaft.

No noticable unusual noises.

Dealer (Annapolis Subaru) says this something they've not seen before, and is replacing the rear differential.

Stay tuned...

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Drain plug is dry.

Halfshafts are dry.

Nose is wet.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Got Moondog back this am, all appears well. Cleaned up and all.

AND - at least in driving today - fuel economy has improved. I assume either the improperly installed seal, or the reduced lubricant, had increased friction.

OTOH - I replaced the cans just before this...

So, maybe there really is a difference in the turbo cans.....

Archived