LegacyGT.com

Audiovox Xpress XM Install

direavenger

Well, I finally got around to permanantly installing my Audiovox Xpress XM receiver. If anybody wants me to do a walkthrough I'd be happy to, I just thought that since this isn't really a popular receiver, and there wouldn't be enough interest to justify my time typing the thing up :icon_bigg

Notes:

-I removed the cubby door and the upper half of the cubby (just unscrew and pull them out). The radio, with attached base, fits perfectly in the vertical space that the cubby allows.

-The spacer material is Leatherette, stretched over some cardboard that was wrapped in aluminum tape for heat resistance.

-The signal quality is excellent, thanks to Jazzy's aux-in mod.

-The camera shows all of the awful imperfections in the job I did with the Leatherette. Up close it looks like a hatchet job, but in reality it really looks pretty good.

1245496880_IMG_2487(Large).thumb.JPG.0ae39dd7930468bbbe8614741bf1ce16.JPG

133555253_IMG_2488(Large).thumb.JPG.3ab284cff8cd443997828623c5bb45d5.JPG

2094367195_IMG_2489(Large).thumb.JPG.80e12f81449889bcab456df0aacb1447.JPG

34637720_IMG_2490(Large).thumb.JPG.8c045335256fcdda2324ff57cc541639.JPG

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Doesn't look too bad, I have not made the jump to satellite radio yet. However, if I do the receiver will more than likely go where you put yours. I would probably keep the cover door on it if possible, as I do not see any really good way to fill in the space. The Leatherette does not look bad, but the location of a fabric in the middle of a hard surface does not go with the design theme of the dash (extreme nit-picking).

Yeah no kidding, but I have no access to fabrication equipment, so it was my only option. I'm still not happy with it, so I might get a mount for it and put the cubby back in.

The lack of storage space is killing me, too. My sunglasses no longer have a home...

I was looking into sat radio myself, is there any hookup fo rthe reciever or does it just use an fm transmitter to send it through the radio? If so, has is the quality? I heard with any fm transmitters there is alot of static.

There is no stuck aux-in to the Legacy, but members of this forum have com up with solutions. Search for 'aux-in', and you'll find a huge thread started by jazzymt. That is what I am using to bring a line level signal into my stock stereo.

As for the FM transmitter, it is built into the Xpress and you have the option to turn it on or off so you can use the line-out. The quality doesn't really compare to using a direct wired connection, but subjectively I think it sounds better than all other FM transmitters that I've heard (Belkin, Griffin iTrip). The cool part about the Xpress is that you can chose any frequency between 88.1 and 107.9MHz to transmit on. Naturally, if you live in a metro area (DC, NYC) you might have trouble finding an open frequency. I do a lot of traveling between markets (Philly and NYC), so the FM transmitter drove me bonkers because I was forever switching frequencies.

• 2 weeks later...

The newer sat radios(XM and Sirius) all have built in FM modulators. In my opinion, the sound is similar to the sound quality of an FM radio so if your reference is as a radio,that should be OK.The problem, as mentioned ,is that in metropolitan areas there is a lot of bleed over as you can't find an empty FM site. I think the in line FM modulator is a good comprimise as there is a filter that blocks radio signal, the sound quality is much better then the broadcast built in FM modulator. Since I never epected CD quality sound, this is fine for me and I can use the same set up to play an MP3 player. The aux in fix you read about is quite an invention.For me, however, the complication of installing it isn't worth the sound quality improvement.But that's just for me.

The real issue is, get the sat.radio,you'll love it. Terrestrial radio is absolutely painful.It's like going from a phone line internet to broadband, you just can't go back.

Archived