LegacyGT.com

5MT AWD Driving Technique?

SkiDaddy

Hey guys, I did a search but found nothing, so I figured people in this sub-forum would be able to point me in the right direction.

My new LGT comes (hopefully) next week, and I need to learn how to properly drive a 5MT AWD LGT. My last 2 cars were a Formula 350 Firebird (Auto) w/LS6 tires/suspension, & after that a Maxima SE 5 SP. So my cornering technique is all over the place.:icon_tong

Are there a few good threads somewhere covering this subject? And would practicing in the sand (safer than a wet public road) be good to learn at and beyond the limits recovery?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I did a search but found nothing, so I figured people in this sub-forum would be able to point me in the right direction.

My new LGT comes (hopefully) next week, and I need to learn how to properly drive a 5MT AWD LGT. My last 2 cars were a Formula 350 Firebird (Auto) w/LS6 tires/suspension, & after that a Maxima SE 5 SP. So my cornering technique is all over the place.:icon_tong

Are there a few good threads somewhere covering this subject? And would practicing in the sand (safer than a wet public road) be good to learn at and beyond the limits recovery?

Thanks!

find yourself a high performance driving schools with ride along instructors

im sure there is one in florida

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

Cobb, Perrin, APS, Invidia, Megan racing and MORE!!

Your #1 source For Subaru / Legacy GT performance parts!

hit up a local driving school and even a local autocross school for level 1 and 2.. that should give you an idea that no matter what car you drive, the fundamentals are there..

AWD isnt any more different than a FWD and a RWD put together.. you'll just have to be a little bit more sensitive to the changes in the power distribution from front to rear wheels if you want to get the most out of your car.. other than that.. typical normal driving, you probably will never get around to feeling such changes since our LSDs are viscous so the car just behaves in a smooth and slower manner than a full performance car.

Keefe

OK, good suggestions all.

One thing - with AWD (5MT) is it more impotant to not lift in a corner than say a RWD car? What do you do entering a corner if you suddenly see a wet patch or something unplanned for? (Yes, I do drive with a decent margin of safety on public rods).

^ AWD, use gas it will pull you though the turn or slide, in FL you don't have much to worry about....., if you hydroplane just ease off the gas so the tires can catch the road...........but no one can tell you/teach you with words......gotta get out there and do like they say above....I leaned to control slides out in the fields at my house when I was younger, and we had a skidpan near our house that pops took me to when I had my permit........I love him for that......

OK, good suggestions all.

One thing - with AWD (5MT) is it more impotant to not lift in a corner than say a RWD car? What do you do entering a corner if you suddenly see a wet patch or something unplanned for? (Yes, I do drive with a decent margin of safety on public rods).

same deal, you lift, you spin.. even in a FWD if you go in hot enough into a turn it can spin out when you lift hard.. I know, cuz I have drifted FWD cars ;)

Keefe

same deal, you lift, you spin.. even in a FWD if you go in hot enough into a turn it can spin out when you lift hard.. I know, cuz I have drifted FWD cars ;)

just be smooth, real smooth.. feel the grip from the seat of your pants and hands, literally.

Keefe

Archived