LegacyGT.com

Help! OE Speaker wire ID

rosta

I've spent the last hour+ trying to figure it out. I have the "vacation pix" and know what to expect once I get the other doors apart. I don't own a multi-meter so I can't check it. I have the RF door apart so I have a green and a brown/white to work with. Go ahead flame away but just provide me with the info.

edited for future reference

Right Front

Green: -

Brown/White: +

Left Front

White/Black: -

Red/Yellow: +

Right Rear

Red/White: -

Blue/Yellow: +

Left Rear

Red/White: -

Blue/Yellow: +

Thanks,

The Idiot

Precise,

Thanks! I didn't know what pin-out was. Doh!

BTW, I was always taught the right/left orientation is to be from the drivers seat. The table is backwards and the rear wires don't quite match the "vacation pix" diagram. For the rears I'm going with Red as the negative indicator.

I went out to pick up some supplies so I'll finish the job tomorrow.

This site rocks!

Ross

Yep, that's the thread I used. I chose to use a plastic bicycle tire lever to pry the handle cover. The one behind the latch pops out with ease so the screwdriver didn't cause any damage. When you start to pull off the panel start at the A pillar corner. I found this to be the easiest place to grab on to.

BTW, I was always taught the right/left orientation is to be from the drivers seat. The table is backwards and the rear wires don't quite match the "vacation pix" diagram. For the rears I'm going with Red as the negative indicator.
The problem is that the speaker wires change colors between the radio harness and the doors. Your table matches the Subaru wiring diagram for the colors at the speakers. And yes, Blue/Yellow is the + terminal for the rears.

My table shows the correct colors at the radio harness. I created that mainly for people who need to repair a harness that was hacked-up by a radio installer or previous owner.

Maybe if I can figure out a way to make a 3-D table I can add the wire colors at the speaker ends... :D (I show multiple model years, because some of the wire colors change)

Wow, you guys here have been very helpful with this. As rosta said, this site DOES rock! I've been putting off my speaker install (which was the only thing left to do but didn't know how to do about doing it) but now I've got the total Alpine sound system I've been wanting to have in this car. The sound is just unbelievable! My hats off to you all

Aryx

A common trick for future reference: Use a battery. An AA will do the trick. If the speaker cone pops out, you've discovered the correct polarity; if it goes in, it's backwards. And you will hear a slight popping noise when you tap the wire to the battery... No big investment required, although a cheap DMM is not a big investment! :D

This is safe for woofers and full range speakers. I would not try it with a tweeter, personally. It probably wouldn't damage it, but I doubt it would help you either.

Archived